• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't have me sign the ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blooice

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Today my family had gone over to my sister's boyfriend's parent's house for Christmas brunch and for him to propose. Good news: she said yes.

After leaving I was driving my sister's car home so we could have some work done on it for her Christmas present while she was out of town. About half way home she called me saying I'd left my wallet. I turned around and was on my way back. I'm not used to her car, and wasn't paying attention to my speed, but a highway patrol officer clocked me at 90 in a 70. I didn't have my license (obviously) as I was on my way to get my wallet. I was ticketed for 90 in a 70 and recieved a warning for no license. However, he didn't have me sign the ticket at the bottom where it says "I promise to appear in said court at said time and place above for arraignment." I'll admit I was speeding and probably doing something around 90, I have no idea how fast exactly since her speedometer is very unclear and only has a few numbers (some aftermarket gauges put in by the previous owner). But by not signing it does that help me at all?

JIMinCA

I don't think it helps you at all. The ticket is an order for you to appear. Your signature is simply an acknowlegement of that order. Even without that signature, the cop can verify that you were given that order (ticket). I would really not want to use that as my defense.

FlyingRon

Besides, all it would get you out of is sanctions for failure to appear. It won't make the charge go away.

blooice

Is there a diversion or something I could do to keep this away from my insurance? I was ticketed this summer for speeding and just paid the dang ticket. Does that nullify any chances (if there are any) for a diversion program?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">