• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't know license was suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

On March 26th,2011, my husband was pulled over on a failure to yield after returning home from being called in to work one evening and found out that his license was suspended as well. He had gotten a DUI shortly before deploying to Iraq in 2009 and had received punishment from his unit also taking DUI courses. I lived at the address on his license (in GA)at the time of DUI and had received no notice of a suspended license. He tried to explain to the officer that his license was not suspended , that this must be some sort of mistake. Well we followed up on the GA DMV website and found out they were correct. We called the number supplied the following Monday and they told us his license had been suspended since 2009 because of the DUI we asked why we never received notice and they said notice was mailed. My husband was in Germany and I lived at the address they say they mailed notice to. I never received this notice. They informed us what we needed to get the license reinstated and we complied and got them reinstated the same week. Needless to say that this whole thing has really angered me all over again because he never should have gotten the DUI in the first place.:mad::mad: I know he is sorry for this major mistake so I don't want to pour salt into his wound because he is worried about how this will all play out when he goes to court on June 03. What does he need to do in a situation like this because he was deployed when this happened and there is no way he could have taken care of this from Iraq and not to mention the fact that he never received notice. He is a great guy, husband and father and made a stupid mistake in how he responded to his fear of being deployed to Iraq. He doesn't want this to ruin his chances of getting into dental school. What can he do before going to court to prepare for his case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">