• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't receive written notice for court appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raptorg8r

What is the name of your state? - Connecticut

I am contesting a speeding ticket in CT and I appeared in the DA's office for an intial plea, that I didn't take. I was told that my court date was 4/4/05 and I have not received any written notification in the mail in regards to this appearance. Should I just appear and check the docet or would this be something that could cause a dismissal of my case.

Thanks,
Alisa

S

seniorjudge

raptorg8r said:
What is the name of your state? - Connecticut

I am contesting a speeding ticket in CT and I appeared in the DA's office for an intial plea, that I didn't take. I was told that my court date was 4/4/05 and I have not received any written notification in the mail in regards to this appearance. Should I just appear and check the docet or would this be something that could cause a dismissal of my case.

Thanks,
Alisa
If you do not show up, there will be a warrant issued for your arrest since: "I was told that my court date was 4/4/05...."

seniorjudge said:
If you do not show up, there will be a warrant issued for your arrest since: "I was told that my court date was 4/4/05...."
Are you telling us that the testimony posted on this forum is usable in court? Isn't it possible that the fellow heard the date wrong? What if he shows up on 4/3/05, and tells the court that date is the one he was told? It is always best to get it in writing, wouldn't you say?

S

seniorjudge

poppakeith said:
Are you telling us that the testimony posted on this forum is usable in court? Isn't it possible that the fellow heard the date wrong? What if he shows up on 4/3/05, and tells the court that date is the one he was told? It is always best to get it in writing, wouldn't you say?
Yes, getting it in writing is always the best. I suspect OP got a slip of paper with the date on it and just forgot about it. I don't know, of course, how that court works, but most courts know better than to try on oral notices.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">