• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didnt sign traffic ticket offense for a summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buenagua

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Colorado (La Plata County)

I received a summons for a "Drove vehicle when safety belt was not in use" and "Failed to present evidence of insurance upon request" offense. I had current insurance even though my paperwork said it had expired. So I know I just have to show proof of insurance during that time in court... Anyway, the officer forgot to make me sign the summons offense where it states: "I promise to appear at the date, time and place indicated below." Does this mean that it is not valid, legally binding or the ticket will be most likely dropped? Thanks

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Colorado

I received a summons for a "Drove vehicle when safety belt was not in use" and "Failed to present evidence of insurance upon request" offense. I had current insurance even though my paperwork said it had expired. Anyway, the officer forgot to make me sign the summons offense where it states: "I promise to appear at the date, time and place indicated below." Does this mean that it is not valid, legally binding or the ticket will be dropped? Thanks
It is still binding.

Buenagua

So is that a movie myth, that things get thrown out of court for the smallest of paperwork mistakes?

PS. Your Fast :)

racer72

Colorado only requires signatures on tickets that have a mandatory court appearance. You do not have to appear in court for your citation, you can just pay the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">