• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Different state license.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trouble123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Well, I have a court date next month for speeding+reckless driving, and I am probably going to be moving to NY before it. My questions are:

Will NY give me a license with pending court dates on my NJ one?

Assuming they will, would the judge in NJ be able to suspend my NY license?

I know that NY does not give out of state points, so out of the 10 that I could potentially get in NJ will any transfer to NY?

Thank you

I_Got_Banned

Will NY give me a license with pending court dates on my NJ one?
Probably yes... Having a court appearance is in no way an assumption of guilt so why would they hold that against you?

Assuming they will, would the judge in NJ be able to suspend my NY license?
The Judge would only be able to suspend your driving privilege in NJ regardless of what state your license is issued by. However, once that suspension order is issued, NJ will notify NY as part of the Driver's License Compact Agreement between both states and therefore a suspension in NJ will eventually cause a suspension in NY!

I know that NY does not give out of state points, so out of the 10 that I could potentially get in NJ will any transfer to NY?
Regardless of points assessed by NY, a suspension order in NJ will cause a mirror effect in NY so even though you would have 0 violation points in NY, your driving privilege there will be suspended based on the suspended status in NJ.

Maestro64

To make what IGB said a little clearer.

They is no way for NJ to know what state you moved to, so they can not notified NY of an outstanding ticket or points you received. However, since your DL is now linked to your SS # NJ will post you violation on the national database and if you do not pay, NY will see this when you go to renew your licenses since most all states now check this database using your SS # for outstanding tickets.

Also, since the ticket was written against your NJ license # the points will show up in the NJ DMV system and NY will not assess you points. Now your Insurance company may ask you will else you lived and check your DMV record in that state as well.

trouble123

Thank you for the replies.

Now, would the judge be able to see in court that I changed my license between the tickets and court date? Would this possibly aggravate him more and make him more prone to suspend my license for a longer time? Although I am legitimately moving out of state, to the judge this could appear as a way of lessening my punishment, so to speak?

Thanks!

I_Got_Banned

Now, would the judge be able to see in court that I changed my license between the tickets and court date?
Who knows... Question is, if the judge were to decide to impose a license suspension as part of your sentence, and let's assume he ordered you to surrender your license right there in court (not sure if that is done in a NY court), are you going to:
1. Lie and say you don't have it?
2. Hand it to him and when he sees that it was recently issued, he might get aggravated?

Would this possibly aggravate him more and make him more prone to suspend my license for a longer time?
Only the Judge can tell you what will or will not aggravate him!

Although I am legitimately moving out of state
Well, considering the fact that just 2 days ago it was...
I am probably going to be moving to NY before it.
Yeah, it sounds legit! ;)

this could appear as a way of lessening my punishment, so to speak?
Well, there's ways you could prove to him that you legitimately moved... Obviously, none of which you would have to present here!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">