• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Direction of Radar...is this possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nortonloaf

Oregon.

I was pulled over for speeding, 39 in a 25. When I first saw the cop
car, he was 1/4 mile in front of me, parked on the right shoulder, pointed
in my direction. That is:

--------------------------------------
<-
[me] ->
------------------------------[cop]-------

I slowed down immediately, and was back under 25 a good 100yards
before I reached his position.

Does it matter which direction his radar gun was pointed in? I ask
because ahead of us was a turn, and the most likely area he
was targeting. If his gun was pointed in front of him, towards cars
coming toward us, would it still have picked up me?

Thanks.

CdwJava

It depends ... if he had directional radar mounted in the vehicle, he could have scanned in either direction at up to 3/5 of a mile or so.

- Carl

LawGirl10

nortonloaf said:
Oregon.

I was pulled over for speeding, 39 in a 25. When I first saw the cop
car, he was 1/4 mile in front of me, parked on the right shoulder, pointed
in my direction. That is:

--------------------------------------
<-
[me] ->
------------------------------[cop]-------

I slowed down immediately, and was back under 25 a good 100yards
before I reached his position.

Does it matter which direction his radar gun was pointed in? I ask
because ahead of us was a turn, and the most likely area he
was targeting. If his gun was pointed in front of him, towards cars
coming toward us, would it still have picked up me?

Thanks.
It is entirely possible that he had a dual radar heads in his vehicle. The radar I used had one unit placed on the dash to scan traffic coming toward me and a second unit placed in the back window of the squad car to scan traffic coming up behind me. Either that, or he could have had a hand-held radar
that he can use to point at traffic in any direction at any time.

CdwJava

LawGirl10 said:
It is entirely possible that he had a dual radar heads in his vehicle. The radar I used had one unit placed on the dash to scan traffic coming toward me and a second unit placed in the back window of the squad car to scan traffic coming up behind me. Either that, or he could have had a hand-held radar that he can use to point at traffic in any direction at any time.
We operate handheld radars, vehicle-mounted dual-antenna radars, and a Lidar. So we go tthe city covered! :)

- Carl

LawGirl10

CdwJava said:
We operate handheld radars, vehicle-mounted dual-antenna radars, and a Lidar. So we go tthe city covered! :)

- Carl
Lidar? Is that your super duper detector used to sniff out thieving liars or an actual unit I haven't heard of?

CdwJava

LawGirl10 said:
Lidar? Is that your super duper detector used to sniff out thieving liars or an actual unit I haven't heard of?
Unfortunately, we still have to find thievin' liars the old fashioned way. :cool:

A "Lidar" is a laser radar.

- Carl

LawGirl10

CdwJava said:
Unfortunately, we still have to find thievin' liars the old fashioned way. :cool:

A "Lidar" is a laser radar.

- Carl
Ohhhh....I always wanted one of those, but the department never got them.

Speaking of outting the thievin' liars, did you ever use scientific content analysis (detecting false or incomplete information given in a written statement)? I was trained in it (some people question the use of it) and it worked wonders for me in getting confessions.

CdwJava

LawGirl10 said:
Ohhhh....I always wanted one of those, but the department never got them.

Speaking of outting the thievin' liars, did you ever use scientific content analysis (detecting false or incomplete information given in a written statement)? I was trained in it (some people question the use of it) and it worked wonders for me in getting confessions.
I've heard of that sort of thing, but I don't know anyone in my neck o' the woods that has received training in it. I know that some of the training we have received has touched on it a little, but nothing intensive.

- Carl

LawGirl10

CdwJava said:
I've heard of that sort of thing, but I don't know anyone in my neck o' the woods that has received training in it. I know that some of the training we have received has touched on it a little, but nothing intensive.

- Carl
You should look into it (and keep an open mind about it, it sounds strange but it works). I took the regular and advanced classes. It is a wonderful tool to use, especially in combination with Reid interrogation techniques.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">