• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raygun

hello
this morning (outside of orlando, fl) i got pulled over in a speed trap. i was speeding and i am not contesting that. HOWEVER, my friend got pulled over in the exact speed trap but didn't have her license and DIDN'T get a speeding ticket, only a citation for not having her license. i can hear everyone now "what was she wearing" "did she smile at the cop" and the rest that i'm not certain are appropriate for this forum.
but, i feel that this is wrong. we both got pulled over for doing the exact same thing. she was speeding, i was speeding. however, she didn't have her license, so the cop let her off with that citation because it would have been too much of a pain to write her up a speeding ticket without her license.
do i have any recourse? is there any way that i could get out of this ticket based on this info? i was speeding, so i do actually deserve the ticket, but if i got a ticket, so should've she.
thanks for the advice
suzanne

FlyingRon

Could have been a different cop. Maybe he was having a good day. Maybe you did something that annoyed him. The no-license ploy may have worked..of course she could have been cited for not having one. You're not going to be able to use the argument that others were not cited for the same thing to dodge this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, when you go in to court, make a firm statement that you were speeding along with your friend and that you DEMAND justice! :rolleyes:

Hey There

AN ANSWER to your question

3-17-08

raygun

do i have any recourse?
A driver issued a traffic ticket for speeding has several recourses. One option is to plead not guilty which means that the driver is asking the court to either prove he is guilty of the citation he is charged with or dismiss the case.
If this is a course the driver wants to pursue a site that has complete info on contesting a speeding ticket is Speeding Ticket -- Fighting or Plea Bargaining.
If the driver lives in Florida by clicking Florida Traffic Rules on Google, court rules can be found on websites listed on the first page.
If a driver believes that a speed trap exists in the section he received his ticket in he can check on the internet by typing in the name of his state followed by the words speed trap.
Traffic school might be an option if the driver is interested in getting points off his licence.
Only the officer who was at the scene at the time of the perceived violation, (except in the case of an accident )can cite a driver for a violation.
An option a driver doesn't have is to claim his ticket should be dismissed because he knows another driver wasn't cited for speeding and he thinks the other driver was speeding.

Regards,
Hey There

Zigner

3-17-08

raygun

do i have any recourse?
A driver issued a traffic ticket for speeding has several recourses. One option is to plead not guilty which means that the driver is asking the court to either prove he is guilty of the citation he is charged with or dismiss the case.
If this is a course the driver wants to pursue a site that has complete info on contesting a speeding ticket is Speeding Ticket -- Fighting or Plea Bargaining.
If the driver lives in Florida by clicking Florida Traffic Rules on Google, court rules can be found on websites listed on the first page.
If a driver believes that a speed trap exists in the section he received his ticket in he can check on the internet by typing in the name of his state followed by the words speed trap.
Traffic school might be an option if the driver is interested in getting points off his licence.
Only the officer who was at the scene at the time of the perceived violation, (except in the case of an accident )can cite a driver for a violation.
An option a driver doesn't have is to claim his ticket should be dismissed because he knows another driver wasn't cited for speeding and he thinks the other driver was speeding.

Regards,
Hey There
Hey there - your information is accurate, but I would like to point out that the OP's question is "...is there any way that i could get out of this ticket based on this info?"
The answer to THAT question WAS given.

raygun

tonight, amid dinner with friends and alot of green beer, we were joking with my friend who DIDN'T get the ticket. i told everyone at the table, "to be fair, she was naked!" :D
but i think i am going to borrow all of my friend's children tomorrow, beat them all in the parking lot of the police station (after all we are in the south!), go in with a gaggle of screaming children and demand justice!
if my damn ticket wasn't $183.50, i wouldn't really be complaining this much.
I WANT JUSTICE!!!!!
thanks for the advice
suzanne

raygun

hey there
the woman who was pulled over after me is actually one of my best friends. usually, if there are police around, i call her to warn her as she has a serious lead foot! she was pulled over for speeding. and i also know the person who was pulled over with her (our children all go to school together) and that person got a ticket. they are equally mad. well, maybe not equally as i am usually the one using my cell phone minutes to warn her about the undercover cops who are out looking for her!:p
but thanks for the help. i am going to traffic school. as boring as it is, it is worth it to get it off my license.
but... i am also going to the police station tomorrow to file a complaint. i know, i know. this will make me a target and i will never, EVER talk my way out of another ticket, but it will just make me (and my $183.50) feel better.
thanks again
suzanne

>Charlotte<

Lurker
but i think i am going to borrow all of my friend's children tomorrow
When my husband's mother was a little girl, she was in the car with her father when he got pulled over for speeding. Before the patrolman reached the car, her father whispered to her "Uh oh, Bonnie, that policeman is going to take me to jail!" She immediately burst into tears and when the cop appeared at the window cried hysterically "Oh, please Mr. Policeman, please don't take my daddy to jail! Please!" The poor cop was so flabbergasted with this poor little girl crying for her daddy, he stammered a verbal warning and drove away. And Daddy grinned the whole way home, I'm sure.

raygun

that is a great story!
my 3 little girls were in the backseat (we were going to school, actually on time so i had no excuse for speeding!) so i didn't feel right making a million excuses. usually, i talk my way out of tickets, but never with my children in the car. but i joked with my friends (other than telling our other friends that she was naked!) that i should have pinched all of my daughters really hard to make them cry!
there's always next time.
suzanne

seniorjudge

When my husband's mother was a little girl, she was in the car with her father when he got pulled over for speeding. Before the patrolman reached the car, her father whispered to her "Uh oh, Bonnie, that policeman is going to take me to jail!" She immediately burst into tears and when the cop appeared at the window cried hysterically "Oh, please Mr. Policeman, please don't take my daddy to jail! Please!" The poor cop was so flabbergasted with this poor little girl crying for her daddy, he stammered a verbal warning and drove away. And Daddy grinned the whole way home, I'm sure.
What a stupid thing to tell your kids.

raygun

patstew
so if a group of people are caught robbing a bank and the cops let one of them go because they didn't have any identification on them, is that justice?
i admitted that i deserved the ticket. but so did my friend. that is all i'm saying.
lighten up.

Zigner

patstew
so if a group of people are caught robbing a bank and the cops let one of them go because they didn't have any identification on them, is that justice?
i admitted that i deserved the ticket. but so did my friend. that is all i'm saying.
lighten up.
Yeah, because a speeding ticket is just like a felony :rolleyes:
The police aren't required to issue you a ticket for every violation. Maybe you ticked the cop off...I can see that happening.

raygun

now. under normal circumstances i am begging to be forigiven for this, my first:rolleyes: speeding infraction. i have a bladder infection, my daughter is sick, my dog has rabies, you name it. but this time, i was so in shock that the speed limit was 30 that i didn't say a thing. i also had my 3 daughters in the car and i didn't think that arguing with a cop was setting a good example for them.
i TOTALLY deserved that ticket. i was speeding. actually, i was going 17 miles over the speed limit and truth be told, that is totally unacceptable. i really am a little ashamed at that. BUT... if you're going to give me a ticket, you need to give everyone a ticket!
and i agree. speeding isn't a felony (although a little bit faster and it might have been) so that example was a little apples and oranges, but in principle, it is the same thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">