• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissal of ticket based on good driving record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donkor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

Rhode Island allows me to get my ticket (35 in a 25) dismissed based on a good driving record (I've had no tickets other than a $10 parking fine) per
Good driving record. The defendant may seek a dismissal based on a “good driving record” pursuant to the provisions of § 31-41.1-7 of the general laws. If the defendant is eligible, the court may dismiss the matter upon payment of costs. Out-of-state motorists should submit a copy of the driving record obtained from their registry of motor vehicles, or other licensing authority.
What does payments of costs refer to? Is it court costs or just the fine itself? I don't mind paying the fine ($85) but I am really trying to avoid getting the hit on my driving record and insurance hike.

Also, are there any tips on how I should prepare for this? Can you get a public defender for traffic court? I've never had to go to court, traffic or otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">