• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disobey Sign: Illegal Turn from NYC 'Thru Street'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkGuy

What is the name of your state? NY - New York

I made a turn from NYC 'Thru Street' during the prohibited time. Actually, I am new to NYC. I didn't aleady know that the street was 'Thru Street'. Furthermore the I couldn't see the signs saying so -- due to the large trucks, and sandwich shops on the sidewalk.

In this situation can I fight the ticket? This is what actually happened. Are there any other good reasons / justifications for such tickets?

You Are Guilty

YorkGuy said:
What is the name of your state? NY - New York

I made a turn from NYC 'Thru Street' during the prohibited time. Actually, I am new to NYC. I didn't aleady know that the street was 'Thru Street'. Furthermore the I couldn't see the signs saying so -- due to the large trucks, and sandwich shops on the sidewalk.

In this situation can I fight the ticket?
Jeez, not a good week for you huh? First the insurance ticket, now this? But you can fight any ticket you want. That is the beauty of this country.

This is what actually happened.
Thank you. Can you also tell us what didn't happen? (Hint: it has something to do with you complying with the "No Turns" sign.)

Are there any other good reasons / justifications for such tickets?
The City needs more money to pay the storage bill for keeping all the homeless/bums on Randall's Island.

YorkGuy

Yeah. It's difficult to drive in NYC.

I took an exit from FDR drive and got into this street and wanted to turn left of the first avenue encountered. I turned left and the cop stopped me. I didn't see the signs at all. After the cop gave me the ticket. I parked the car, went back to the cross-roads to see the signs, but they were not visible from the street where I had stopped for signal before turning.

You Are Guilty

Well, try taking pictures of where you were stopped, and then where you were on the rest of the way through the intersection. If all of them do not show any "no turning" signs, plead not guilty and contest the ticket. I'd strongly suggest you do this one in person as you will almost certainly be found guilty if you try to do it by mail.

Even in person, your chances aren't particularly good, but they are greater than 0, so I guess it's worth a shot if you have nothing else to do on your lunch hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">