• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disobeyed posted signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmfstar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

hi first of all thanks for reading this, so i live up by grass valley and am visiting my aunt in walnut creek. my girlfriend took the BART to come see me, she lives in berkeley, anyways i'm about a minute away from getting to the bart station and i recieve a call from her, bluetooth of course, saying her blood sugar is dropping that she needs to get food asap, she's diebetic. now as i pull into the station there was a large line of cars on the left side, i see cars parked up on the right so i go right instead of left so i pull up to the curb, which happened to red( i find out later this is where the buses pick up, there were no buses there when i got there) now as she is getting in the car, a bart police officer chirps me. now he gives me a ticket 21461(a) cvc disobeyed posted signs, and i was in my aunts car and she didn't have her current insurance card in there, its in her wallet. back to the story he tells me i missed the signs, now when i pull out i forced to drive past the signs that i missed and two signs are blocked by tree branches (i took pictures) . i really think he was kind of harsh, a nice officer but a little harsh. I'm not from the area, i've taken the bart twice, first time picking some one up from bart, the signs were blocked by foliage, and my girlfriend needed food to raise her blood sugar. i want to contest the ticket for i am currently a student struggling to pay for my schooling and this ticket would break me, not to mention he said it puts a point on my license which puts me further in crisis with my insurance co. with my lack of income. i'm looking for any advice, i'm a good kid. thanks again for reading this
Justin

Last edited:

Hey There

Ball is in your court

21461a cvc: Disobeying a regulatory sign or signal: It is illegal to disobey any regulatory sign or signal.

i want to contest the ticket
A continuance can be asked for by calling the court.
Discovery is available. The driver neeeds to make a written request for a copy of the officer's notes, a copy of the video if one was made, and other evidence the officer plans to use at trial. A friend needs to mail the copies (certified, return receipt) to the citing officer and the D.A.and give the driver a proof of service that he has done so.
To read the penal code that gives a CA. driver this right Google PC 1054.1
For a form and instructions on how to submit a request for Discovery Google: Help! I Got A Ticket! or copy a form from a book published by NOLO on fighting tickets in CA.
In lieu of appearing in court a driver can file a Trial by Declaration.
TR200 gives instructions and TR-205, REQUEST FOR TRIAL BY WRITTEN DECLARATION. Forms can either be obtained from a court clerk or by typing in Trial by Declaration in the Google Search Window.
If the judge rules against the driver the driver may request a new trial if done within 20 days. He may also request a different judge.
Google MUTCD for regulations on signs. They certainly should be visible to the driver.
A 1 point infraction shouldn't affect insurance rates and a courtesy notice should tell if Traffic School is an option as well as the bail amount.

Best Regards,
Hey There

jmfstar

the signs said

So.... what did the sign say? -- Jim_bo

while in the parking lot there was a no left turn sign to go to where the buses pick up, so basically i entered a loading and unloading zone for the buses

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">