• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregard Traffic Control Device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JosefK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I was recently involved in an automobile accident. I was driving north approaching an intersection. I was driving on autopilot and there was a yellow light. I figured I would get though the intersection before the light changed to red, which i did (at least, I never saw the light change red, and I would have noticed if it did). Someone in the left-turning lane pointing south made a left turn as I entered (or just before I entered) the intersection. I smashed into his rear-right side. On the advice of my father, I called a police officer who arrived about a half-hour after the accident. I sort of apologized to the officer, admitting that I did not slow down at the yellow light which I should have done (there was enough space for me to stop). And yet he later gave me a ticket for "Disregard Traffic Control Device". So I now have to pay a fine and possibly get points on my driving record. I am kind of surprised. I am usually a pretty conscientious driver. I have never had points counted against me before. I have never even got a speeding ticket. I also was judged the guilty party in the accident (I believe based on the police report) by my insurance company. What I am wondering is, was justice served here? Am i really guilty of "Disregard Traffic Control Device"?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I was recently involved in an automobile accident. I was driving north approaching an intersection. I was driving on autopilot and there was a yellow light. I figured I would get though the intersection before the light changed to red, which i did (at least, I never saw the light change red, and I would have noticed if it did). Someone in the left-turning lane pointing south made a left turn as I entered (or just before I entered) the intersection. I smashed into his rear-right side. On the advice of my father, I called a police officer who arrived about a half-hour after the accident. I sort of apologized to the officer, admitting that I did not slow down at the yellow light which I should have done (there was enough space for me to stop). And yet he later gave me a ticket for "Disregard Traffic Control Device". So I now have to pay a fine and possibly get points on my driving record. I am kind of surprised. I am usually a pretty conscientious driver. I have never had points counted against me before. I have never even got a speeding ticket. I also was judged the guilty party in the accident (I believe based on the police report) by my insurance company. What I am wondering is, was justice served here? Am i really guilty of "Disregard Traffic Control Device"?
Q: Am i really guilty of "Disregard Traffic Control Device"?

A: Based solely on the info you posted, yes.

Bcar1463

A: Yes, while going through yellows is a situation by situation timing thing, the fact that you admitted you had ample time to stop and did not is what makes it a sealed case. The only way you could fight it now is to lie and go back on your statement. Though you might hope for a sympathetic judge, but getting one is not very likely. Self-admissions are pretty cut and dry in court.

JosefK

Q: Am i really guilty of "Disregard Traffic Control Device"?

A: Based solely on the info you posted, yes.
I really appreciate your opinion on this matter. The thing is, I've heard of getting a ticket for running a red light, but I've never heard of getting a ticket for running a yellow light. But what do I know.

I'm curious, do you (or anyone reading this) think I am the guilty party in the accident? The gentleman whose car I struck, it seems to me, was supposed to yield to oncoming traffic before making a left turn. Or can we presume that he knew I had a yellow light (which he couldn't have seen), that I was supposed to slow my speed, thus giving him sufficient time to turn left and clear the intersection before I got there.

The Occultist

I think you deserved the cite from running the light, but that you are not to blame for the accident as the law requires that those turning left must make sure it is safe to do so regardless of what color they think the light might be when they attempt to the turn.

Hey There

A start

JosefK

Have you verified that the insurance agent is aware that you were in the intersection when the light was yellow?
As a general rule once a car enters a intersection on the yellow , that car has the right of way.

In case of an accident, if the matter isn't being handled by the insurance agency in a manner satisfactory to the driver, the driver would be prudent to consult with an attorney. The driver should check for an attorney who will give a one time consultation for a modest fee or for no fee.Google:How To Choose A Lawyer

According to websites on what to do after an accident a driver shouldn't volunteer information on who he thinks is at fault. Talk to your insurance agent first. It's OK to state facts but anything you say to the police or other driver can be used against you in court.

A local librarian may provide you with a book on what to do after you receive a traffic ticket.

Best Regards,
Hey There

FlyingRon

I think you deserved the cite from running the light, but that you are not to blame for the accident as the law requires that those turning left must make sure it is safe to do so regardless of what color they think the light might be when they attempt to the turn.
Huh? A car turning left is required to yield to cars running red lights? If he had a green arrow, he certainly would not be required to be concerned about people running into him from the opposite direction.

Hey There

Yellow is Yellow and Red is Red

JosefK

I would get though the intersection before the light changed to red, which i did (at least, I never saw the light change red
According to your post you entered the intersectiion when the light was yellow. A yellow light means Caution, not stop. If a driver can't stop safely, then the driver should proceed thru the intersection with caution according to the Delaware driver's handbook.
An opinion that a driver could have stopped before reaching the intersection is not the same as a determination that he could have stopped taking into consideration how far back from the intersection the driver was when the light turned yellow and the speed the driver was travelling. It takes more time to stop than the average driver realizes. A car travelling 25mph would need at least 55 ft. to stop.
If this estimate is correct then a driver would need at least (maybe more)than 55 feet to stop
before reaching the intersection.

Best regards,
Hey There

Last edited:

The Occultist

Huh? A car turning left is required to yield to cars running red lights? If he had a green arrow, he certainly would not be required to be concerned about people running into him from the opposite direction.
Obviously an exception, but did the OP mention that the vehicle turning left had such an arrow?

JosefK

According to websites on what to do after an accident a driver shouldn't volunteer information on who he thinks is at fault. Talk to your insurance agent first. It's OK to state facts but anything you say to the police or other driver can be used against you in court.
Did I not follow this advice? Note, I did not say who I thought was at fault, at the scene of the accident. I did say I went through a yellow light. I wonder, if you were in this situation (you just ran into someone making left turn after going through a yellow light), what would you have done? The officer asks what happened. What would you say?

Also, the officer gave me this citation saying I had 'Disregard traffic control device', and asked me to sign it. Perhaps it is true that I am guilty of this, but what if I had thought otherwise at the time?* Was I required to sign this VOLUNTARY ASSESSMENT form? It seems strange to me I am forced to sign something. Doesn't signature imply voluntary? And yet, if I didn't sign it, would I be disobeying an officer. What would have happened if I had refused?

If nothing else, maybe I can at least learn something from this. Thank you to everyone who has commented.

* - Following is fine print I read on the citation later on:
"My signature on this document only acknowledges receipt thereof, unless the voluntary assessment block is checked [Police officer had put an X in the block], which indicates my desire to plead guilty to the stated charge(s)..."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">