• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregarded the railroad crossing sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

svallivel@gmail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Charge on the ticket: 625 ILCS 5/11‑1201
Disregarded the rail road crossing sign

When I entered the road crossing, the gate was closed and I waited 10mins for the train. Trains arrived. Once the trains are gone, the gate was opened but the rail road signal was still red. As soon as I saw gate opened, I went through the crossing by thinking that I am ready to go and the lights will take some time to turn into Green.

I got a ticket for that and I need to appear in the court. I want to know what should I do and what I should I talk to judge in my situation.

Thanks

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Charge on the ticket: 625 ILCS 5/11‑1201
Disregarded the rail road crossing sign

When I entered the road crossing, the gate was closed and I waited 10mins for the train. Trains arrived. Once the trains are gone, the gate was opened but the rail road signal was still red. As soon as I saw gate opened, I went through the crossing by thinking that I am ready to go and the lights will take some time to turn into Green.

I got a ticket for that and I need to appear in the court. I want to know what should I do and what I should I talk to judge in my situation.

Thanks
It doesn't work like that.

You can't just talk it out.

It is a serious ticket.

I would get a lawyer to assist you before you do anything

LdiJ

It doesn't work like that.

You can't just talk it out.

It is a serious ticket.

I would get a lawyer to assist you before you do anything
I don't disagree, but that should not have been able to happen. The gate should not have opened with the light still on.

svallivel@gmail

Thanks for the response

Can someone tell me how should I defend my case myself without an attorney.

1) Should I go for Plead for Guilty or Not Guilty?
2) If Guilty, what can I tell to state attorney or to the Judge to reduce my fines/penalties?
3) Can I ask for court supervision? If I got the court supervision, should I pay the fines?

Please advice.

xylene

Can someone tell me how should I defend my case myself without an attorney.

1) Should I go for Plead for Guilty or Not Guilty?
2) If Guilty, what can I tell to state attorney or to the Judge to reduce my fines/penalties?
3) Can I ask for court supervision? If I got the court supervision, should I pay the fines?

Please advice.

1) If you want to mount a defense, you must plead not guilty

2) It is unlikely your statutory penalties would be reduced.

3) Probably not on this violation.

LdiJ

Gates open before lights turn off is normal. Keeps driver from running into gate as it opens.
I will take your word for it, but I probably won't be satisfied...LOL...until the next time I cross a railroad track after a train has passed. I have crossed hundreds of those in my lifetime and I truly do not ever remember there being any kind of delay between the gates and the lights. To be honest, I remember it the opposite...the lights go off but the gate takes longer than that to lift.

xylene

I will take your word for it, but I probably won't be satisfied...LOL...until the next time I cross a railroad track after a train has passed. I have crossed hundreds of those in my lifetime and I truly do not ever remember there being any kind of delay between the gates and the lights. To be honest, I remember it the opposite...the lights go off but the gate takes longer than that to lift.
I've seen the gates go up, signals go dark, when the train was still crossing.

I hate level crossings myself, especially when they are in urbanized areas...

svallivel@gmail

Can someone help with this?

1) What is the liklihood to get the court supervision?
2) If I get court supervision, shud I pay the fine? If yes, how much fine and cost total?
3) Can I apply for court supervision without appearing in court?
4) Is it big offence?
5) If I go to court, how can I deal this matter at court to ask for excuse or court supervision?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">