• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregarding a stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gratefulgirl

I received a 4 point ticket in South Carolina for disregarding a stop sign on a college campus. I didn't come to a complete stop but I did break for the stop sign. It was late in the evening with no pedestrians around but the cop was not very pleasant (to say the least) and rambled on about it being a high traffic area. I was at work at the time on a delivery for a pizza place. I cannot afford to have this on my insurance and would appreciate any advice on how to get this ticket dropped or at least reduced. Thanks.

J

john m dulay

Before I dispense this advice. Be aware that further advice from others will advise you to disregard anything I say due to the fact that I'm a Communist, cop-killing terrorist. This is not true. What I say is what I believe to be 100% true. There's my name and number for the whole world to see. Anything I say to you is what I believe to be practical advice from the experiences my son has had in dealing with the police and the courts. I'm not a lawyer, a cop, or a police chief's secretary. You've put in a request for advice,...I'll try to help.
First. You might go to the home page and hit "State Resources" Your local court may have a page where you can get information and telephone numbers.
I've got three alternatives and a suggestion for your problem.
#1. Pay the ticket. If you went through the sign, we'll, it's a "what cha gonna do" type deal.
#2. Hire a traffic lawyer. It's the popular opinion on this site that this is the best option. I'm not sure, but that option might run you about $700. More than likely he/she will get it reduced or dismissed.
#3. Fight it! I say that not to be a hard nose, but to give you a tip that might be usefull. From our experience, you'll go to the court on the assigned date and plead "not guilty." You will be asked if you want a lawyer and if you can afford one. If you're destitutely broke, they may assign you a public defender. After they ask you how much you make, and you say I make $5 an hour. They'll say that's way too much and you can afford your own lawyer. Whereby you agree to defend yourself. Now here's the trick. Just before you actually go to trial, the prosecuter, ( the guy representing the bad guys) might offer you a chance to plea bargain. That's your clue. There might be more than four points involved here. You might also face a severe fine and a possible suspension. But if you let it be known that you are willing to plea bargain, ( which is what they want so that they can expedite matters), you may be able to strike up a deal that will be satisfactory to all. I don't know if the whole thing is a mandatory sentence or what. But one the guys up here got his ticket changed from a 6 point deal to two. For what it's worth.
The suggestion. In todays society, a drivers license is of the utmost importance. Anyone without one is at an extreme disadvantage. The job you're doing is of a high speed, high stress nature. I know, I'm a trucker. I don't believe you're receiving adequate compensation for putting your license on the line. It's only a matter of time before this happens again. Think about other job oppotunities. Goodluck.

F

FKNA

I don't know about S.C., but this might be worth checking into. In Texas, one is allowed to take defensive driving once every 18 months for a moving violation in order to keep it off of your insurance.

Rochelle

How old are you? Here we can offer you (no offense at this, it's just what we call it) Dummy school one time only if you are 18 or under; however, your license will be suspended until after you have your completion certificate. Once you submit that certificate, your license can be reinstated.

You can always try to talk to the officer. I know my guys here will very often remand a ticket, again one time only, if you talk to them and explain the situation. Although, of your own admission, you did earn the ticket.

P. S. Ignore Dulay. The rest of us don't even read his posts anymore. I don't know what he told you but it wasn't correct. He has no right to give advice unless it's how you should be allowed to ignore laws and get away with it. My father is a retired supreme court judge, my brother is the DA here, and my sister is an Investigator, and I work for the Chief while getting a degree in Crime Scene Investigation. Dulay is a trucker who has had run-ins with cops and his advise will only mess you up. Look through some of the other threads, and you'll see that for yourself.

Last edited:
J

john m dulay

All this from one who surfs the net at taxpayer expense. I was kind of hoping you would keep your promise not to acknowledge me.

JETX

I did read the post by Dulay, and with the exception of the last few lines, it was a good post. It offered a few valid options, was on-point and wasn't a 'tirade'.

All in all, an accurate and valid post. And naturally, as in all cases, this is just my opinion.....

Rochelle

Well I DIDN'T read it, so I trust your opinion. But my advice was good and reliable. But a lot if depends on the age of the poster. Sorry if you think I was on a "tirade" but I feel about that bozo the way IAAL feels about FKNA. And I warn others not to listen to a truck driver who has had a run in or two with the law and thinks everyone is being picked on by the police.

Again, some states offer the driving class once or twice a year, some only once. Some offer it to adults some only to those 18 or younger. The poster will have to check on that, if that is an option for him/her. And there are officers who, if you go to them and explain the situation, will remand the ticket on a one-time-only basis. Good luck.

ccarter

Rochelle,

"And I warn others not to listen to a truck driver who has had a run in or two with the law and thinks everyone is being picked on by the police. "

Your not bashing truck drivers are you?

E

eox

Ohio

Humm, I just signed up with this forum as I just got out of being shafted in court and feel that I should spread the word to the average citizen, warning them of what they are up against.

I've only browsed through a few dozen threads, but it seems that some people on this site seem to be jumping at each other, especially "Rochelle".

I admit that I'm a newbie here, but it seems you have one hell of a ego problem or something...

P. S. Ignore Dulay. The rest of us don't even read his posts anymore. I don't know what he told you but it wasn't correct. He has no right to give advice unless it's how you should be allowed to ignore laws and get away with it. My father is a retired supreme court judge, my brother is the DA here, and my sister is an Investigator, and I work for the Chief while getting a degree in Crime Scene Investigation. Dulay is a trucker who has had run-ins with cops and his advise will only mess you up.

Humm, lets go through this shall we?

"I don't know what he told you but it wasn't correct." Wow, that must have been something your father the judge must have told you, sounds similar to the way the judge talked to me in court when it was my word against the cops. For someone who comes from a family of law enforcing people, I'm not surprised your blurted something like this out.

"He has no right to give advice?" I dont recall seeing a "no adivce giving" in the member agreement unless your whole family works for law enforcement and will thus lead you to have a biased opinion.

Wow, your father is a somebody, and so are your family members. Thats great, my mom works at a department store, while my brother is going to OSU.

"Dulay is a trucker who has had run-ins with cops and his advise will only mess you up." Your absolutly correct, why would you want to listen to someone who has spent more time than anyone else in here on the road? */end sarcasim*

Sorry gratefulgirl, for "highjacking" your thread and turning it into a fourth grade name calling match, but I feel that I should put my say in when I see stupidity wasting my bandwidth.

As for your ticket, I know first hand about the "unpleasent cop".
Four points seems high, but I'm in Ohio. I'll tell you what I think, altho it may get me put on Rochelle's hate list.

If you did a "rolling stop" through the stop sign, than you are guilty of not stopping. If you don't want the points on your license, you might have two options if/when u go to court. When they call you up, you can say either "guilty" or "not guilty".

If you say "guilty" the judge may ask you to explain what happened, or they might just say, "guilty, pay $75 in court fees and $150 fine, and you now have 4 points on your record."
If you luck out, they might ask you what happened and you might just get fined and recieve no or less points.

If you say, "not guilty" they will, at least in ohio, arrange a small hearing thing. When you go to this hearing, there will be three other people there. A judge, the police officer and the city prosecutor will be there. Before hand, the prosecutor may want to "plea bargain" and offer you a reduced penalty. Then again, they might not, and you have no defense because you did roll through it. If you dont get a plea bargain, you will be found guilty and have the points and a even higher court cost, because it costs you money to say "not guilty" and then have another trial.

In my opinion, which I hope I am allowed to give even tho my family isn't special, I would say "guilty your honor, but I would like to explain what happened." When you are in court, everything will go fast and you may feel intimidated, just remember, the judge is just another person, like you. They pays bills, eat food, get scared and hate their jobs, just like us all.

If you feel the points do not fit the crime, say so. Speak your mind in court and hopefully, they might be in a good mood that day and be compasionate. The whole thing is there to make the state/government money, they want their money, so be careful.

Well, I broke about every rule posted in red, I wasn't brief, to the point and i used Upper case every now and then. So... I guess if Rochelle had her way, her whole family would be kicking my door in and hauling me away.

- Laterz

Rochelle

ccarter, not at all. Just stating that his only experience with the law is breaking it. He brought up his occupation, and I merely echoed his own words. And I did say the poster could talk to the officer. I didn't say he/she should be hung by the neck until dead. (That's not aimed at you ccarter so disregard).

Rochelle

eox, did you have a question? I'm not suprised, with your attitude, that you're "being shafted" as you put it. Everyone who doesn't get away with something and gets punished, thinks the courts are too hard on them. If you're really innocent, then by all means fight, kick and scream. But if you're guilty, take your punishment and move on. If you want to whine and be a crybaby, go see a therapist. But my advice was right, and if you don't like what I say, don't read it. Ignore me. Won't hurt my feelings. In fact, I encourage it.

ccarter

rochelle

good, I didn't think you were when I reread post. Sometimes it can be difficult to get one's "tone" when reading their words..lol

thanks for replying though..;)

J

john m dulay

Rochelle;
This will be a quick note, as I have to go back out and make an honest living. Something I'm sure you know nothing about.
Since you've failed to honor your "threat" not to communicate with me anymore, ( typical woman,...says one thing and does the exact opposite) Ha! Yes, I am a troublemaker! I feel I should respond to your latest meaningless babble.
Quote. " My guys here will very often remand a ticket if you talk to them and explain the situation." Geez! Get real! I think you forgot to mention the part where you're supposed to mention to the cops that your father is a supreme court judge.
I think you're suffering from something similar to Schizophrenic Dyslexia. By your responses, it seems that anything you read is misinterpreted and filled with malice. Your response usually results in an explosive retort having no bearing on what was being said.
Ex. The "tirade" referred to me, not you.
In your post to EOX. You forgot to say what to do when you're "really innocent," and you're convicted anyway.
I haven't reread my previous posts, but I'm sure I've never advocated the breaking of the law. When I suggested you fight a 6 mph over ticket, you lashed out with something about me leaving the country if I don't like the rules? I'm a 2 yr. veteran of the US Army during wartime. I believe I've earned the right to voice my opinion of perceived enforcement inadequacys/cies. Not only my right, but my duty. Now...Other than stick a flag on your SUV, and over-eat on the 4th of July, what exactly have you done for your country? Not your father, your sister, or the candle stick maker. You! You're nothing but a minor taxpayer parasite soon to be a full blown infection. You read the words of great men in order to pass a test, never fully comprehending what the hell they're really saying. The founding fathers went to great lengths to provide means to prevent wannabe tyrants like yourself from becoming all powerful. The end result is sites like this. Where reasonably intelligent people (yourself excluded) can voice there opinions, formulate ideas, and hopefully join together to rectify injustices. Gee, that's getting pretty deep. I get carried away.
Your turn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">