• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregarding Stop Sign but invalid citation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alittlebittalla

What is the name of your state?
TN

I recently got a citation for disregarding a stop sign but the cop made one big mistake. Instead of putting Clinch and James Agee as the location of the sign, he put 14th and Clinch. This is one street over but there's not even a stop sign there if you're driving on clinch. Should I contest this? My court date is this friday so the sooner the advice the better.

Thanks,
Lars

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state?
TN

I recently got a citation for disregarding a stop sign but the cop made one big mistake. Instead of putting Clinch and James Agee as the location of the sign, he put 14th and Clinch. This is one street over but there's not even a stop sign there if you're driving on clinch. Should I contest this? My court date is this friday so the sooner the advice the better.

Thanks,
Lars
**A: take photos of the 14th and Clinch intersection and go to court to prove that you are not guilty.

alittlebittalla

**A: take photos of the 14th and Clinch intersection and go to court to prove that you are not guilty.
Good idea. I'll do that later today.

Basically I turned left at the James Agee (aka 13th) and Clinch intersection (onto Clinch) and the next cross street was 14th, which does not have a stop sign and in fact is a one way street going the opposite way.

Is there anything else I should do? What I'm mainly worried about is having to explain this all to the judge. I'm going to state that I did not, in fact, disregard a stop sign at the 14th & Clinch intersection as the citation stated. My next question is what do I do if he asks me if I disregarded the stop sign at James Agee?

Lars

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">