• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disregarding a Stop Sign trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coledog855

Thank you for your advice. So with the proper documentation, I might be able to plead guilty to having illegally darkened windows even though I was only given a verbal warning.

rmet4nzkx

coledog855 said:
Thank you for your advice. So with the proper documentation, I might be able to plead guilty to having illegally darkened windows even though I was only given a verbal warning.
Provide that as evidence, a defense, that the windows attracted the attention, you had them tinted in good faith, not knowing they required certification or might have been too dark, perhaps the officer should have cited you for that, which was a fix-it ticket and you will provide the proof that it was done with the receipts, let the judge take it from there, so you are not pleading guilty you are providing a defense to the charges, it is up to the judge what happens. Essentially just tell the truth, present the facts/evidence, without accusing, give the judge respect and let the judge do their job. let us know how it goes.

coledog855 said:
I used the word "lurch" because I couldn't think of a way to describe what a complete stop feels like. I didn't sit at the sign for 3 seconds, but I didn't roll through it.
That "lurch" is not a lurch at all. Happens when the inertia of motion in the undercarriage ceases, and the coach settles back on the springs/frame....when inertia of motion ends and inertia of rest begins. Sounds to me like you actually did come to a stop, and all these cops want to give you a hard time about your language and your tinted windows. Tell it to the judge. He or she may have a teenager and understanding that every kid with tinted windows is not a gangster.

Last edited:

coledog855

You guys have been really helpful. :) I appreciate all of your advice, and I will take everything into account when preparing for this trial. Can someone tell me what would be the best decision. Trial by jury or having the judge make the decision?

S

seniorjudge

coledog855 said:
You guys have been really helpful. :) I appreciate all of your advice, and I will take everything into account when preparing for this trial. Can someone tell me what would be the best decision. Trial by jury or having the judge make the decision?
I would go for the jury trial.

Prices start around $5000, I hear.

S

seniorjudge

Q: Are you serious?

A: Quite serious. If you want to be the rap, you will have to have all the members of the jury agree that you are guilty. They may believe your story more readily than would a judge.

lwpat

South Carolina traffic ticket

"Is it possible for me to plead guilty to illegal windows and have the ticket dropped, but pay the windows fine?"

Not unless you can get the officer to agree to drop one and then write a ticket for the other. You can usually get him at the start of his shift. Call the police department and ask when would be a good time to speak with him.

Since you are a minor you cannot represent yourself in court. You will have to retain an attorney or get one of your parents to go with you. Some cities offer traffic school and the ticket will not go on your record. This is probably your best option and usually takes an attorney although you could ask the clerk of court.

In my experience city judges always side with the officer. You will have a better chance with a jury trial. You must request this in writing. Downside is that you may have to pay cost of court along with the fine.

S

seniorjudge

Q: So a trial by jury would be a waste since the court fee's would be insanly expensive.

A: No, that would be the lawyer's fees. See if you can get a public defender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">