• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DMV Fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tPaine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

In July, I was given a speeding ticket and went to court. I was found guilty and told to pay a fine of about $150. I waited a LONG time to pay my fine, seeing as I live in Washington, DC and didn't think the Virginia DMV could do anything to my license.

I have now paid my fine, yet got something in the mail awhile ago saying I had to pay the DMV something to get my license "re-instated." I have not paid the DMV anything yet, mainly because I can't figure out how to.

Can the Virginia DMV take my license away or do I not have to worry about it? Do I need to worry about getting in trouble for driving on a suspended license if I get pulled over again? Do I only need to worry in Virginia or across the country?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Can the Virginia DMV take my license away or do I not have to worry about it?
Yes they can. Google "States Driver's License Compact", read and weep.

Do I need to worry about getting in trouble for driving on a suspended license if I get pulled over again?
Tickets for driving while suspended can be expensive. Some places will tow your vehicle too.

Do I only need to worry in Virginia or across the country?
If your driving privelige is suspended in one state, it is suspended in all.

FlyingRon

Not only CAN the Virginia DMV take away your license, it sounds like they already suspended you. You must pay your DC fines and pay the VA reinstatement fee. If you're caught driving on suspended, it's a misdemeanor. Show sufficient arrogance to the judge and you'll end up cooling your heals for a few days in the drunk tank.

Maestro64

Okay I am not sure if Washington DC issues their own license or they are just a VA license. If they are have their own license, you all know no other state can suspend your license form another state only your home state can suspend your license. The DLC only states that each member state agrees to enforces other states tickets, meaning your home state will force you to pay your out of state tickets or else run the risk of your license being suspended.

Now, some states like VA and NY will suspend your driving privileges in their state. Even if you have valid license form another state and get caught driving in VA they can arrest you like Flyingron point out and the courts have no problem making you sit in jail for few days. VA is coming down hard on drivers who thumb their nose at them.

It sounds like VA is now charging to have your driving privileges reinstated. I would not put past them, since VA has made it clear they are using ticketing as means to close budget gaps. You better stay clear of VA until you get this cleared up.

FlyingRon

My read is he has a Viriginia driver's license and unpaid DC fines.

From reading between the lines, since Virginia demanded reinstatement fees, they have already suspended his Virginia license.

If he is driving now, he is committing an misdemeanor which he's going to have a hard time defending against since he's already been notified.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Okay you all know no other state can suspend your license form another state only your home state can suspend your license.
So? The state where the tickets were issued can request the home state to suspend the license. Voila! It's suspended.

And yes, DC does issue their own licenses.

Maestro64

So? The state where the tickets were issued can request the home state to suspend the license. Voila! It's suspended.

And yes, DC does issue their own licenses.

No they can not, they can only request your home state make you pay your fines, what the home state chooses to do is up to them, thus the reason states like NY and VA now suspend driving privilege in their state if you accumulate to many points in their state. PA is one of those state which do not recognize others states tickets, why because state like NY, NJ and VA who abuse drivers with ticketing.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No they can not, they can only request your home state make you pay your fines
Why when the fines aren't assessed by the home state????

states like NY and VA now suspend driving privilege in their state if you accumulate to (sic) many points in their state.
Now? NY has been doing this for many years.

PA is one of those state which do not recognize others states tickets, why because state like NY, NJ and VA who abuse drivers with ticketing.
Abuse drivers? How does NY as a state "abuse drivers with ticketing"?

If you're saying that PA won't take license against against a PA-licensed driver at the request of NY you are wrong.

Maestro64

Abuse drivers? How does NY as a state "abuse drivers with ticketing"?

If you're saying that PA won't take license against against a PA-licensed driver at the request of NY you are wrong.
No PA will not suspend any one's license for tickets they received in NY, the only time PA cares is if it is a DUI or other more serious issue, minor traffic tickets they do nothing with except make you pay the out of state fine if that state files a complaint with PA. In PA a license can not be suspend for tickets without a administrative hearing and those only happen once you accumulated too many points, and since PA does not assign points to out of state tickets that will never happen.

NY does abuse out of state drivers it is well known the NY police sit of the boarder of their state and ticket people who travel back and forth between NJ, PA and Conn. You hear all the time about out of state drivers who have their driving privileges suspended by NY for too many point or failure to pay. NY is the only state who has an agreement with Canada to make sure Canadians driving in NY are hit with points in Canada if they get a ticket. The best part of this is NY suspend people's driving privileged and most times never notifies the person, they do the old you should know the law.

NJ is the same way, they sit on the boarder of PA and ticket incoming traffic in the morning and then at night out going traffic. I see it all the time and I know a number of people who work in NJ and have large numbers of tickets in NJ and they just pay since it does not affect their PA record and they are not worth fighting.

Ohio and WV use to do the the same thing but worse they would ticket PA residents for being 1 MPH over. Because of these activities and the fact PA does not allow tickets to be issued unless your 10 MPH over if under 50 MPH or 6 MPH if over 55 MPH. PA will not recognize the ticketing abuse by neighboring states. OH and WV stopped this activities in recent years, I no longer see the police hanging out at the boarder.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I hate when people put out miss information

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">