• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to pay my speeding ticket if it was from traffic cameras, not a cop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theoffice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I got a traffic violation in the mail that I was driving 10 miles over the speed limit and I have to pay a fee. They say that there will be NO points on my license based on this. I heard that you need an eyeball witness to prosecute for speeding ticket fines. They whited out the guest passenger. So no eyeball witness? They say if I don't pay the fines that will result in late fees and more fines, but can anything bad happen? I mean, can I just ignore it and pay it later? They won't come after me will they? The county prosecuter said two weeks ago that he and his office will not prosecute traffic offenders that go over 20 mph based on speeding cameras. I was only going about 10 mph over, not 20, so am I safe?

I_Got_Banned

I heard that you need an eyeball witness to prosecute for speeding ticket fines.
Eyeball wintess? You heard wrong!
That is what the camera is there for... To eliminate the need for an "EYEBALL" witness.
They whited out the guest passenger.
To protect the innocent!!!

So no eyeball witness?
Why would your passenger serve as a witness and testify against you anyways?

They say if I don't pay the fines that will result in late fees and more fines, but can anything bad happen?
It depends on your definition of "bad"!

The county prosecuter said two weeks ago that he and his office will not prosecute traffic offenders that go over 20 mph based on speeding cameras.
If that is even remotely close to being accurate (which I highly doubt it is even close) would suggest that he will only prosecute offenders who were driving 0 mph over to 20 mph over...

I was only going about 10 mph over, not 20, so am I safe?
Nope, you're in big trouble! Read my last statement!

I got a traffic violation in the mail that I was driving 10 miles over the speed limit and I have to pay a fee
The Arizona speed camera summons have to be properly served in order for you to be considered aware of and responsible to pay for the citation.

So it depends on what you mean by "got a traffic violation in the mail".

The Occultist

Firstly, the camera has been accepted as a viable "witness" on behalf of the state of AZ to prove you were speeding, so no, no eye witnesses are needed.

I_Got_Banned is correct that the ticket must be properly served, which begs the question, "In what manner was it served?" AZ accepts that certified mail delivered to the correct address (according to the address on file with the courts) and signed for, even if you didn't sign or even if you're not even there at the time, is a valid serve.

I'm surprised that the camera tagged you at ten over, as the valley is supposed to be changing over so that the cameras do not tag unless the vehicle is traveling at least 11mph over the limit.

The Occultist

That doesn't apply to you. 20 over the limit becomes a criminal matter, and that is why one can face the accuser. Your case, at only 10 over, is a civil matter, so the same rules do not apply.

Maestro64

From that article it sounds like AZ DA is getting fed up with speed cameras.

So if you going to speed you should go at least 20 over since they will not prosecute a ticket over 20 from a camera.

The Occultist

From that article it sounds like AZ DA is getting fed up with speed cameras.

So if you going to speed you should go at least 20 over since they will not prosecute a ticket over 20 from a camera.
Yeah, fantastic advice. You gotta be careful what you say because some n00b to this board may not get the humor and actually think they can go 20 over forgetting that there are still police out there patrolling the streets. :rolleyes::p;):D

theoffice

20mph

OK. I'll go at least 20 mph over the posted speed limit from now on since they can't prosecute me. Vrrrroooommmm!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">