• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer? Suspended DL in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RareVos

*Reposted to correct thread*

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was pulled over last week while driving in Princeton NJ. The officers were driving behind me on a rural road and ran a random license plate check on my vehicle. When the officers approached the car they said I was driving with a suspended drivers license due to an unpaid parking ticket (which was actually paid, but too late and my license was suspended). I didn’t know my license was suspended. I’ve moved 3 times in the past several months (with no real permanent address) waiting to move into an apartment I rented. I didn't update my records at the DMV because I didn't know where I'd be living from month to month. I planned to do it when I was settled in my apartment. I didn’t receive notice that my license was suspended in my forwarded mail. I didn’t even know it could be suspended for a parking ticket :mad: (but I guess that’s beside the point!).

I have a mandatory court date in 3 weeks. My driving record was perfect before this minus maybe 3 parking tickets in my 10 years of driving. It never occurred to me to hire a lawyer, but I received a letter in the mail from one referencing my ticket and was offered a free consultation and if I agree, representation. My question is, do I need a lawyer for this or can I take care of it myself. I hope that my (previously) good record will speak for itself and this was just a bad luck and a mistake on my part. I’m hopeful I can just pay a (small I hope) fee and it will be over with. So, do I need a lawyer? Thanks!

FlyingRon

The reason the DMV wants you to update your address is primarily for this sort of thing. There's no penalty for updating things frequently. You should have at least routed it to some reliable place (like a PO box or a very good friend or relative) to be assured you'd find out about these things.

I'd get all my ducks in a row, make sure you've gotten your license reinstated and have proof of that for your court appearance. You might get lucky. Knowing the corrupt NJ system, you'll probably end up not only paying a fine but also a "surcharge" on your license for several years if you are convicted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">