• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do i need to show up court if police officer wrote down my driver license id wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yongqxu2015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently, i got a STOP sign violation ticket. But the officer wrote down wrong driver license number (last digit wrong), and
my first character of my first name was wrong as well. Do i have to show up the court to take care of the ticket? Or just ignore?
So far it has been a month, i have not got any letter about the ticket yet. Your advice will be greatly appreicated.

Phil

CdwJava

No law requires you to receive a notice in the mail. The law DOES require that you appear as noticed on the citation.

An incorrect DL number is not going to invalidate the cite or free you from your obligation to take care of the citation.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently, i got a STOP sign violation ticket. But the officer wrote down wrong driver license number (last digit wrong), and
my first character of my first name was wrong as well. Do i have to show up the court to take care of the ticket? Or just ignore?
So far it has been a month, i have not got any letter about the ticket yet. Your advice will be greatly appreicated.

Phil
you could have a bench warrant for failure to appear since you have ignored it for a month!

Good Grief. Man up and take care of your responsibilities.

FlyingRon

The staff at the courts are pretty good at figuring out officer's bad handwriting and other mistakes. First thing they look at is if the name appears to match the license plate, etc...

yongqxu2015

The staff at the courts are pretty good at figuring out officer's bad handwriting and other mistakes. First thing they look at is if the name appears to match the license plate, etc...
Thanks! Police officers are humans like us who make errors all times. I still have plenty of time before my court date to come. Do you think i need to point out the
errors at the court? Otherwise, whoever the driver has that wrong license id will have that record, right?

yongqxu2015

you could have a bench warrant for failure to appear since you have ignored it for a month!

Good Grief. Man up and take care of your responsibilities.
Don't' appreciate your comment, quite judgmental. I still have plenty of time before my court date. If i would ever try to run away from my responsibility,
i won't even bother to post question here. Never had this kind of experience before, still try to learn how this law system works.

Ladyback1

Don't' appreciate your comment, quite judgmental. I still have plenty of time before my court date. If i would ever try to run away from my responsibility,
i won't even bother to post question here. Never had this kind of experience before, still try to learn how this law system works.

Ya know? I have had a few traffic tickets....and NEVER, EVER was the court date for those 2 months after the ticket was issued. In fact, most of them are within days, at most 2 weeks, of the ticket date.

And, yeah, you need to learn how "this law system works".:rolleyes:

davew128

Ya know? I have had a few traffic tickets....and NEVER, EVER was the court date for those 2 months after the ticket was issued. In fact, most of them are within days, at most 2 weeks, of the ticket date.

And, yeah, you need to learn how "this law system works".:rolleyes:
Except in California most infractions DON'T require an actual appearance. If you plan on paying the ticket or taking traffic school most courts allow you to do this online. Oh and by the way, 2 months is pretty standard in CA and the defendant can request an additional 30 days. Apparently the OP isn't the only one who needs to learn how this law system works.

CdwJava

The court date has to be at least 21 days out from the "arrest." In most cases, it has been my experience that four to six weeks is the standard, but, some counties may have a greater delay out to 8 weeks or more.

latigo

Good Grief? . . .
Interesting ejaculation is this "good grief" business. I've read Shulz's "Peanuts" for years and even that hasn't revealed what good there is in it.

Some other utterance seeking deliverance from the hardships and vexations of life might be more appropriate. Like maybe Peppermint Patty's "Why me?!"

Last edited:

single317dad

When I was young and full of jet fuel, I had my fair share (and then some) of traffic tickets. Those tickets were, on average, due and payable about 90 days from their issuance. I know this because my mother had the forethought to keep all of them that I left behind when I moved out.

My last ticket, in 2005, was in a small local court. I went in 2 weeks after I got the ticket to pay it and get it over with, but the ticket wasn't even "in their system" yet. Their recommendation was that I return on the court date and stand in line with everyone else to pay my fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">