• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which do I pay, or do I go to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsloss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I got a speeding citation for 67 in a 55 (I was not going that fast, but I know I can't beat that). My citation lists my direction of travel as east, even though I was on Route 8 North. However, my main concern is: The total cost block of the ticket lists my total due as $132.00. However, if you add the costs listed, they come to $182.00. This error is not due to sloppy writing, it is just poor math skills on the officer's part. My questions are**************
1) Are the cost & direction of travel errors enough to beat the ticket
2) If I fight & lose, which total will I have to pay
3) If I plead guilty & send in the total due, can/will they send me a bill for the rest
4)If they do "correct" my bill, can I fight the ticket then (& what chance would I have)

Thanks.

seniorjudge

A: No; the direction of travel is not an element of the offense.

A: Ask the clerk.

3) If I plead guilty & send in the total due, can/will they send me a bill for the rest
A: Ask the clerk, but I suspect the answer is no; they are not a credit company.

4)If they do "correct" my bill, can I fight the ticket then (& what chance would I have)
A: What are you talking about?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My citation lists my direction of travel as east, even though I was on Route 8 North.
Most roads are not straight N/S or E/W. They have portions that may go in directions other than those designated in the road name. I live near a road that connects two cities that are 26 miles away from each other north to south. The highway is designated as an E/W road, even though there is only about 5 miles total that runs closer to E/W than N/S.

However, my main concern is: The total cost block of the ticket lists my total due as $132.00. However, if you add the costs listed, they come to $182.00. This error is not due to sloppy writing, it is just poor math skills on the officer's part. My questions are**************
The officer is not required to know the current costs of the ticket. This won't invalidate the ticket. You will have to pay the statutory amounts no matter what he wrote on the ticket.

Thanks.
You will have to pay the statutory amounts. If you send in less, they will want the rest of the required amount. If you've already sent in the amount on the ticket, their case against you will be stronger if you try to then fight the ticket. You will have already pled guilty.

Last edited:

Hey There

tsloss

I got a speeding citation for 67 in a 55 (I was not going that fast, but I know I can't beat that).
Speeding Ticket FAQ &
Speeding Ticket --Fighting or Plea Bargaining
have information on contesting a speeding ticket.
A court clerk should be able to tell you the local court rules
regarding the increase in fines, if any,
if a driver chooses to file a not guilty plea and is judged guilty at trial.
To enter a not guilty plea a driver should appear in court
on the date and time shown for arraignment.

Best Regards,
Hey There

If you are going to enter a not guilty plea (which I strongly suggest), call the magistrate's office and talk to the "clerk" to determine what the fine is.

Make copies of the front and back of your ticket (before tearing off the bottom) and send it in with not guilty (don't forget to include the amount that gives you the privlidge to fight your ticket, I think it is still $7). Send in the ticket with your check with return receipt requested.

My sister-in-law recently got a ticket on Rt 8 (Cooperstown area) and wanted to plead guilty but I convinced her not to. The PO that provided the ticket offered everyone a deal before the hearing (lower fine and no points), which she took.

There are alot of things to be aware of before you head into your hearing. Send in your not guilty plea and you should have several weeks to do your research.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">