• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i really have to go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigtime20052002

I was pulled over in marshall, north carolina for going 88 in a 55. the officer told me that i have to go to court and i am hoping that that is not the case since i come from ohio. i would apreciate any advice on this matter.

Depends on NC Law

I dont' know NC taffic law, but I believe in most state now, if you exceed 20 mph over the speed limit, there's a possible license suspension. This may be why you're required to go to court.

The legal experts here would have to confirm that.

bigtime20052002 said:
I was pulled over in marshall, north carolina for going 88 in a 55. the officer told me that i have to go to court and i am hoping that that is not the case since i come from ohio. i would apreciate any advice on this matter.
You have to do whatever is specified in the state law...which process should also be printed on the citation (front or back). A lawyer can represent you in NC (most likely). If you don't follow proceedures designated, you lose your Ohio driver's license....through the interstate cooperative system, Non-resident Violator Compact. Don't delay.

Froyn

I cannot stress this enough, call the courthouse to find out when the date is. My little sister got tagged for doing 5 over in Kentucky on the highway. She showed up at the time/date on the ticket only to schedule a court appearance for 2 months later. The clerk asked her why she didn't just call to set up the date.

End of story: She showed up for the court date. The court clerk informed her that they must have misplaced her paperwork as the ticket "does not exist in our systems".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">