• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do NY MTA Police have jurisdiction to issue moving violation ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joejetski

NY. This morning I was issued a ticket on a NYS road in the town of Southeast in Putnam county, for passing a vehicle illegally. The ticket was issued by a MTA Policeman (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) who, I thought only had jurisdiction along rail lines, train cars, stations, aboard buses, etc. Did he have jurisdiction to issue the ticket and if not, what should I do to have it dismissed? Thank you.

You Are Guilty

Uh, details? What was the ticket for? What were the circumstances around the citation? Where, exactly, were you when the infraction occurred?

qcxlvr1

To answer your question, yes, the ticket is valid.

New York State Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Police officers have a statewide geographical area of employment (GAOE) and have the same authority as a New York State Trooper.

joejetski

Location/in fraction details

I was going south/west on North Brewster Road (where it becomes Tonetta Lake Rd) in the town of Southeast, county of Putnam, NY. The infraction was for passing a vehicle where there was a double yellow line.

You Are Guilty

Well then, you were on public property so you are going to have to come up with a better defense than the one you've currently got.

It reminds me of the time I was a passenger in a friend's car while crossing the George Washington Bridge. While doing about 80 along the lower level, I spotted a PA Police car ahead and told him to slow down. His (priceless) response , "Why? They're not real police" and proceeded to pass the officer at close to twice the limit.

Let's just say it's good he had a lawyer in the car with him that day. :cool:

You Are Guilty

joejetski said:
I wasn't looking for a defense.
joejetski said:
Did he have jurisdiction to issue the ticket and if not, what should I do to have it dismissed?
Coulda fooled me. However, lack of jurisdiction is but one of many potential defenses. Have a lawyer look it over - up in Putnam, you can almost certainly find someone for ~$200 or so, which is way less than what you'll be paying in increased insurance rates for the next few years if you're convicted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">