• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do they really issue a warrant for your arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tori8

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I posted once before a couple of days ago about a ticket for running a stop sign. Anyway, I decided to plead not guilty..but in PA you still pay the fine in full along with the court costs, which I did and they set a court date. I just noticed on the paper that it says failure to show up for court could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. I have every intention of showing up, it is in my benefit. But still I am curious if they really issue a warrant for your arrest, if you requested the court hearing in the first place and you have already paid the fine in full anyway. I just don't exactly see what they would be arresting you for.

S

seniorjudge

I posted once before a couple of days ago about a ticket for running a stop sign. Anyway, I decided to plead not guilty..but in PA you still pay the fine in full along with the court costs, which I did and they set a court date. I just noticed on the paper that it says failure to show up for court could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. I have every intention of showing up, it is in my benefit.

Q: But still I am curious if they really issue a warrant for your arrest, if you requested the court hearing in the first place and you have already paid the fine in full anyway. I just don't exactly see what they would be arresting you for.

A: Failure to show up for court.

Tori8

Well thank you, I suppose I worded it wrong. I meant what happens once your arrested? Do you actually go to jail and have to post bail, is there more fines and another hearing? It seems excessive considering the person who didn't show up requested the hearing in the first place and that they already paid the fine in full. Also, the court loses nothing, in fact they gain court costs for doing absolutely nothing. I'm not trying to start an argument and this is not a situation I intend to put myself in. I am just extremely curious why they would immediately go to such extreme measures.

S

seniorjudge

Tori8 said:
Well thank you, I suppose I worded it wrong. I meant what happens once your arrested? Do you actually go to jail and have to post bail, is there more fines and another hearing? It seems excessive considering the person who didn't show up requested the hearing in the first place and that they already paid the fine in full. Also, the court loses nothing, in fact they gain court costs for doing absolutely nothing. I'm not trying to start an argument and this is not a situation I intend to put myself in. I am just extremely curious why they would immediately go to such extreme measures.
I don't know how much clearer I can make my prior answer. Going to court is part of the deal, along with paying the fines, etc. The court costs are for the paperwork and stuff that a court does; court costs have nothing to do with whether you show up or not...except that you make them higher when you do not show up.

mikeshoe

A friend of mine has a great story about his warrant for an arrest.
He had a court appointment for 8am
He went in at 8am
He waited patiently
At 10am there was no one else
The judge asked who he was and what he was doing in court
He said was there for the 8am court appearance
The clerk looked at the 8am list and said he wasn't scheduled
My friend asked if the were SURE he wasn't scheduled.
They were sure.
At about 3pm he was driving around in the count and is stopped for a broken brakelight. The officer took his ID and went back to the cruiser. He then returned and put my buddy IN CUFFS for a bench warrant for failure to appear!
The clerk never realized that they'd moved his appearance to 1pm without telling him and the judge was in a pissy mood so he issued a bench warrant.
My buddy sat in the back of the patrol car for about 30 mins while the cop contacted the court and ironed it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">