• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you think I can contest a 316.074?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

macol0068

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Yesterday at 5:33pm, (rush hour) I was pulled over by an Altamonte Springs police officer. I was driving with the flow in the right lane, and then I saw a police officer stopping traffic and signaled me to pull over with a radar device in his hand. When I asked if I was speeding, he told me that I was doing 45mph in a 30mph zone. I was very surprised but didn't argued, and tried to be polite and complied with his orders even though I think that he was kind of rude. Saying I was doing 45mph was unbelievable, so I suspect that his radar wasn't working right, or that he took the speed of somebody else. I have learned that radar gun are unreliable if they are not set or maintained regularly. The fine was $151.00 but I do believe I didn't commited a traffic violation. Also, in the violation citation it is stated violation:4 in a 30. The actual speed and the posted speed info. are blank. Do you think I'll have a good defense in court?

Last edited:

justsomecop

A regular RADAR unit is not the best type of advice to use in high traffic areas but it is still effective. The officer is required to identify the vehicle that is speeding and engage with the RADAR unit. These RADAR's are calibrated at a factory with a date that certifies the RADAR for its use. The officer is required to check the calibration of the unit with tuning forks. If his tuning forks were good before and after shift, the RADAR unit is working properly. In your defense you will have to prove that you were not going the specified speed or identify the vehicle or person that did commit the violation. Otherwise, take it to court, hope he does not show up, or take traffic school. Good luck to you.

macol0068

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply. I edited my initial post with more information about the citation: Also, in the violation citation it is stated violation:4 in a 30. The actual speed and the posted speed info. are blank. Do you think I'll have a good defense in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">