• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does having a Class D license effect how long my license will be suspended?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omgadvice

I got a ticket for 95 in a 70 on an interstate. I still have a class D license. I already know my license is going to be suspended (because of point accumulation), but will it still be for just 6 months? I've heard that having a class D license and getting a super speeder ticket could result in suspension until that person is 21. Please help.

Just Blue

I got a ticket for 95 in a 70 on an interstate. I still have a class D license. I already know my license is going to be suspended (because of point accumulation), but will it still be for just 6 months? I've heard that having a class D license and getting a super speeder ticket could result in suspension until that person is 21. Please help.
How old are you? How long have you had a license?

omgadvice

How old are you? How long have you had a license?
I'm 17, so a year and some months. I'm in Georgia, so I know that with 4 points before you're 18 I believe it gets suspended for 6 months, I was wondering if since I have a class D license if that'll effect the suspension time.

omgadvice

Hire an attorney. Do your parents know you did this?
No. Will know soon. Would the attorney be able to reduce the speed, even though it's probably already processed. I haven't been to court yet, I'm planning to pay for the fine and the super speeder fine as well.

Just Blue

No. Will know soon. Would the attorney be able to reduce the speed, even though it's probably already processed. I haven't been to court yet, I'm planning to pay for the fine and the super speeder fine as well.
Sweetie...They will HAVE to know in order for an attorney to be hired. You can not LEGALLY enter a contract. Just tell them.

omgadvice

Sweetie...They will HAVE to know in order for an attorney to be hired. You can not LEGALLY enter a contract. Just tell them.
Yeah I'm going to tell them, I'm just trying to figure everything out. If the attorney can't get it reduced and my license is suspended, how long will it be suspended? Will they give me a permit to go to work and school? I'm in college so it's not like I can just ride a bus.

Just Blue

Yeah I'm going to tell them, I'm just trying to figure everything out. If the attorney can't get it reduced and my license is suspended, how long will it be suspended? Will they give me a permit to go to work and school? I'm in college so it's not like I can just ride a bus.
You're 17. "You" can not figure this out. Get help from your parent(s). And likely you will not have a license for a long time...As you should not. You were going 25 over as a new driver. You could have KILLED someone...A Family. Mom, Dad and small children. Just because you "needed" to put the pedal to the metal.

You are not ready to have a license. Wait till you are.

And honestly...If your license was so flipping important to you? You would NOT have driven recklessly.

Learn from this and do better in the future...You really do seem to be a decent kid who made a bad error in judgment.

Best of luck to you..

Blue.

P.S.

I would advise my own children in the same manner if they were in your situation. :)

Last edited:

omgadvice

You're 17. "You" can not figure this out. Get help from your parent(s). And likely you will not have a license for a long time...As you should not. You were going 25 over as a new driver. You could have KILLED someone...A Family. Mom, Dad and small children. Just because you "needed" to put the pedal to the metal.

You are not ready to have a license. Wait till you are.

And honestly...If your license was so flipping important to you? You would NOT have driven recklessly.

Learn from this and do better in the future...You really do seem to be a decent kid who made a bad error in judgment.

Best of luck to you..

Blue.

P.S.

I would advise my own children in the same manner if they were in your situation. :)
Yep. Parents know now, I figured I'd need their help, just wondered how bad all this would be. This is my first ticket since I've had my license. I normally don't speed and honestly didn't know I was going as fast as he said. I am going to get an attorney, just to help me in court. My stepdad is pissed (he's a cop), this was also in Gwinnett county so I'm basically screwed. Thank you for your answers and concern, means a lot. I understand that I made a very bad decision, and Im prepared to deal with my consequences.

FlyingRon

Two things:

1. Get your wallet ready.
2. Expect to not be driving.

24+ MPH over the speed limit is going to be a very serious offense in Georgia. If you are under 18, you will be suspended for a year. (18- 21, it's six months).
You can expect substantial fines ($285 PLUS COSTS) from whatever court (you might even get jail time, speeding is a misdemeanor there). In addition, there's a separate $200 "super speeder fine" that the DMV assesses that you will have to pay. Also expect your insurance rates to skyrocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">