• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a traffic ticket follow you after you change your state residency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauren321

I recently moved from Minnesota to New York, where I got a ticket on my bicycle for running a red light. (I know this sounds silly and bitter, but in my defense, it was a 3 way intersection, so there was no chance of any cars crossing the bike lane.) It was my first ticket ever, and a whopping $270 one at that. I want to fight it, though my court date is the day after Christmas, and I was planning on visiting family out of town.

I got this ticket with my Minnesota ID. The officer told me that if I ignore the ticket, my license will be suspended in New York. When I register as a New York resident and get my New York ID, will I still have to pay this ticket? Additionally, will ignoring this ticket complicate my ability to get a New York ID?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you need to pay the ticket.

The state(s) have this wonderful new toy called a "computer" - it's very capable of keeping track of things.

lauren321

Yes, you need to pay the ticket.

The state(s) have this wonderful new toy called a "computer" - it's very capable of keeping track of things.
Thank you! I know some states have reciprocity, but I wasn't sure which. Any advice on how having an unpaid ticket might be an obstacle in getting a new ID? Incidentally, I love snarky condescension, so if you could reply with the same attitude as before that would be so great!

OHRoadwarrior

Even better, when a warrant is issued, you are arrested and you explain to your boss you missed a weeks worth of work because you don't know how to safely ride a bicycle, expect them to fire you.

lauren321

Even better, when a warrant is issued, you are arrested and you explain to your boss you missed a weeks worth of work because you don't know how to safely ride a bicycle, expect them to fire you.
Alright, cool! I posted this question in hopes someone would be able to give some helpful advice and instead got unnecessary criticism. Thank you, internet! I'll continue to ask my friends and coworkers for advice. They may not be that knowledgable in everything, but at least they don't respond to an innocent question with smug, self righteous attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I recently moved from Minnesota to New York, where I got a ticket on my bicycle for running a red light. (I know this sounds silly and bitter, but in my defense, it was a 3 way intersection, so there was no chance of any cars crossing the bike lane.) It was my first ticket ever, and a whopping $270 one at that. I want to fight it, though my court date is the day after Christmas, and I was planning on visiting family out of town.

I got this ticket with my Minnesota ID. The officer told me that if I ignore the ticket, my license will be suspended in New York. When I register as a New York resident and get my New York ID, will I still have to pay this ticket? Additionally, will ignoring this ticket complicate my ability to get a New York ID?
We don't help people avoid the law or avoid their legal responsibilities. Pay the ticket. If you knew how to properly ride a bike you wouldn't have this issue. Oh and btw, you will be banned from this site due to your language.

CSO286

Thank you! I know some states have reciprocity, but I wasn't sure which. Any advice on how having an unpaid ticket might be an obstacle in getting a new ID? Incidentally, I love snarky condescension, so if you could reply with the same attitude as before that would be so great!
All the states have recipriocity. So if you've lost you license in one, you're not going to be able to get a new one in another until you've dealt with whatever is holding your license up in the previous state.

This little thing called "full faith and credit" is the principle behind it.

And we so glad that you appreciate our "snarky condescension" because we just LOVE it when folks come here looking for loopholes to get them out of the legal entanglements they've gotten themselves into.

As a rule: We don't help people break the law. Or help them evade the consequences after the fact.

ETA: It won't prevent you from getting a NY ID, but a NY driver's license? Yeppers, you're going to have issues.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Even if a warrant was issued thee would be no extradition for a traffic infraction/violation from New York.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Alright, cool! I posted this question in hopes someone would be able to give some helpful advice and instead got unnecessary criticism.
For your information New York is the same when it comes to bicycles - you must follow all traffic laws while operating a bicycle. While it may be relatively rare, it is certainly possible to receive a traffic ticket while riding a bicycle. I have written a few cyclists over the years.

The bottom line is that your driving privilege may very well be suspended in New York if you fail to answer the ticket and/or fail to pay the fine.

Just curious, what is the issue here? You feel you are innocent of the charge or you think it's silly? Or both?

All the hassle you are likely to get from this unpaid ticket is certainly not worth it in my opinion.

Just Blue

Ya know...If you really "love snarky condescension" you can hire it for around $300.00.

LeeHarveyBlotto

You are not aware courts can issue warrants for failure to appear?
I am very aware of what courts can do, and what they actually do. While I agree with everyone that the OP should take care of the ticket because 1) it's what grownups do, and 2) it will lead to trouble at renewal time, the probability of her being arrested over a single traffic ticket is so close to zero as to be zero.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

I am very aware of what courts can do, and what they actually do. While I agree with everyone that the OP should take care of the ticket because 1) it's what grownups do, and 2) it will lead to trouble at renewal time, the probability of her being arrested over a single traffic ticket is so close to zero as to be zero.
I suggest you review the post. OP has fled on an out of state license. The only thing to compel her to deal with it, would be a warrant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">