• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Vermont report speeding tickets to other states?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quinnrj

My wife recently received a speeding ticket in West Rutland, VT for going 27 mph over the speed limit. :mad: I have read a little bit about the Drivers License Compact, which states that states can and do report tickets to other states.

Can anybody tell me if Vermont does, in fact, report speeding violations to other states? I have read conflicting information on the web. We live in New Jersey, and are concerned about the potential insurance surcharges if the points show up on her license here.

Thanks.

-Bob

FlyingRon

You betcha they will report.

Fortunately, all out of state violations come in as 2 pointers, so you're lucky, if you'd done 27 over in NJ that would be a four point violation.

If this won't cause you to hit 6 points, there's no DMV surcharge.

Your insurance company may have a different view of your risk though.

quinnrj

One more question

FlyingRon,

That's good news:) and bad news:(. Can I ask how you know that out of state tix come in as 2 points? Are you an attorney? I heard that from somebody else, but have tried to confirm it via google search to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

You betcha they will report.

Fortunately, all out of state violations come in as 2 pointers, so you're lucky, if you'd done 27 over in NJ that would be a four point violation.

If this won't cause you to hit 6 points, there's no DMV surcharge.

Your insurance company may have a different view of your risk though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">