• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drag Racing on a Highway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Randomguy85

I was cruising with a buddy I raced with at a drag strip, we came along some Hondas. I ended up next to one of them, I was in a low gear so it was loud. I took off took off and took it up to about 4-5k rpm(tried it a few nights ago and thats about 50mph in the gear I was in). I later found out the Honda that was next to me did the 3 honk thing. Ive never street raced before but I know how it works. I flew past since I was way faster than this car. I let off at around 4-5k(50mph tops). Well after I get there I grab third then fourth not even accelerating now, after I got into 4th I hit the brakes and looked in my mirrors.

I watch a cop(with his lights on) pull out of traffic about 4 cars behind where we were or so(when we started). I of course pull over, wouldn't consider running. The other guy stops too, kind of admitting what we were kind of doing. The cop comes up to my car first, he imediatatly says "So you guys like coming to xxx to go to jail". I told him no. He asked for all the usual. I also hand him my CCW and told him I was not carrying right now, and told him just letting him know for his safety since Im sure you will find it when you look me up. He also said he "was following me and that other Trans Am since 10th street and heard you guys racing", I figured this was about 2-3 miles. I told him we werent racing. He didnt care.

Came back in about 40 minutes or so with a Drag Racing on a Highway ticket. Cost $154. Im not worried about that amount at all, chump change compared to the inevitable insurance increases.

What advice does anyone have for me? This is in South Dakota.

FlyingRon

$134 seems to be a wrist slap if that is the penalty in SD.

Here you'd spend several days in jail, be suspended for six months, and pay $$$$

Playing follow the leader like that is still racing even if you aren't trying to pass.

Randomguy85

$134 seems to be a wrist slap if that is the penalty in SD.

Here you'd spend several days in jail, be suspended for six months, and pay $$$$

Playing follow the leader like that is still racing even if you aren't trying to pass.
Im not worried about the money Im worried about it being 6 points and the amount insurance will be able to charge me now. This is also my first ticket in probably 5 years too. I guess I was lucky up until now.

And I talked to a Lawyer today.

HomeGuru

Im not worried about the money Im worried about it being 6 points and the amount insurance will be able to charge me now. This is also my first ticket in probably 5 years too. I guess I was lucky up until now.

And I talked to a Lawyer today.
**A: so what did the lawyer today tell you?

Randomguy85

**A: so what did the lawyer today tell you?
He is going to look over everything I provided him and call me back tomorrow. I typed up a page and half word document about everything I could remember from the night when I got home.

We will see how it goes.

When you are technically street racing and a cop is coming up with his lights on who has to pull over? Im sure both according to the cop but thats probably an admission of guilt? I pulled over first, thinking back on it I should have just kept going and hoped the Ricer pulled over. Then if a cop got me, "well I didnt know you were pulling me over."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He is going to look over everything I provided him and call me back tomorrow. I typed up a page and half word document about everything I could remember from the night when I got home.

We will see how it goes.

When you are technically street racing and a cop is coming up with his lights on who has to pull over? Im sure both according to the cop but thats probably an admission of guilt? I pulled over first, thinking back on it I should have just kept going and hoped the Ricer pulled over. Then if a cop got me, "well I didnt know you were pulling me over."
Yeah - that whole "evading" thing would certainly help you out :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">