• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drivers license expired-Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenden

What is the name of your state? I live in Michigan.

I need some help, as I am loosing sleep with worry over this.

I was pulled over for speeding. The cop realized my license was expired. (My bday is May 10, and this happened July 20th.)

I had simply forgotten to renew it and explained to the officer that I have been going through a divorce and had alot on my mind and it just slipped my mind, but that I would go straight to the Secretary of State office and get it renewed.

That wasn't good enough, he let me off with a warning for the speeding, but gave me a ticket for the non-renewed license. Told me it was a misdemeanor and that I would have to go in front of the judge. I got really nervous. I have never been in front of a judge, except for my divorce last week. What are they going to do to me? I read online that they can put me in jail for a misdemeanor. Is this going to happen? I have no record and haven't had a ticket in at least 7 years. Please help me!

I have since gotten my new license in the mail.

Maxthedog

It sounds to me that it was a simple oversight due to you being in the middle of a divorce. I would bring the paperwork showing that you were in the middle of a divorce and also bring the new drivers license. I am assuming that you are a good person with no prior record. Just explain to the judge what had happened. Before you see the judge, ask to see the prosecuting atty and explain what happened and see if he/she will dismiss it before you even see the judge.

LSCAP

I agree with maxthedog, bring the papers and new license. In some states they give as much as a year to renew. After all you had a license, its not as is it was suspended or taken away. But again, like max said bring papers and new license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">