• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver's License Quandry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TNMike1974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I was involved in an auto accident 7 years ago where I lost control of my vehicle and struck a parked car with no occupants. I was driving my brother's car and neither of us had insurance. I thought the judgement was being taken care of (by my brother) but have just recently learned (when I pulled over for expired tags) that my license has been suspended for some time for an unsatisfactory judgement.

I have to reappear in court for driving on a suspended license and there's no way I can afford all the fees in time to get my license reinstated, in which case the judge has instructed that my license will be revoked for a year. I've had difficulty in finding work for quite some time and am currently working a temp office job making little money.

I was doing some research and read where, in some states if it's been seven years or longer, the unsatisfactory judgement shouldn't be an issue in regards to getting my license reinstated. This accident occured in 2004. What are my options, if any, to get my license reinstated before I go back to court in October without having to pay on the unsatifactory judgement ?

OHRoadwarrior

Bankruptcy MAY work. I know of an individual that had it discharged that way. They were the owner, not the driver. The driver had implicit authorization to take vehicle as they were a spouse.

racer72

Bankruptcy may not work either. BK may eliminate your debt but the license suspension may not be lifted till you can supply a satisfaction of judgment. The only way to do this is pay the judgment.

The seven year thing you speak of only applies to how long a judgment will show up on your credit report, it has nothing to do with your liability for the debt. In your state judgment are good for 10 years and can be renewed. This can be long after the judgment has dropped from your credit report.

And your brother is laughing how hard? I got my brother a ticket once .. he had to clear it up --- I told him years afterwards and we had a good laugh.

Have your brother be your driver now.

TNMike1974

While I appreciate the time everyone took to reply to this question, is there any free legal advice to be offered here from actual lawyers? I know bankruptcy MAY be anoption, but I need to know the certainties. I need to know what ARE my options, not what MAY be an option.

And please, if you don't have any actual advice on what I can do in terms of getting my license reinstated, then please don't comment. That last comment was just totally useless. Besides, my brother's license is suspended as well... for the same unsatisfactory judgement, so even if my question HAD been "how can I get from point A to point B without a driver's license?" your comment was still useless.

Not trying to be rude, but my time is limited and I'm stressed to the max. I'm looking for legal advice from people who actually KNOW the law and my options on this matter, lik actual lawyers who know Tennessee's laws.

Thanks

racer72

The only sure fire way to get your license back is pay what you owe. There are no magic or special way to accomplish this. If you want advice from a real Tennessee attorney, there are links on this site or you can open your phonebook. I am sure you will find a few that would be willing to take your money so you can be told the same thing you were told here.

TNMike1974

You posts in public, you takes your chances.

AND... you get what you pay for, as well.
I said that in reference to this comment....

And your brother is laughing how hard? I got my brother a ticket once .. he had to clear it up --- I told him years afterwards and we had a good laugh.

Have your brother be your driver now.
... which was both stupid and pointless in regards to the question I asked here, which, as it turns out, filing bankruptcy IS an option. I DID talk to a lawyer... for free, which is what I thought this sight was all about, but I was mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">