• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drivers License Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lowrider

Georgia Drivers License Suspension

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Georgia,

OK here is my dilemma. I just moved back to GA from SC, went to the DMV to get my License, said it was suspended. I asked when, they said 2002 for speeding (24+ over). I asked her what license and she said my GA license. In 2002 i had a SC license, NOT a GA LIC. i checked my driving record in SC and i have no points and showing no sign of suspension (i checked it online). now back in 2002 i did do a safety course but sent the paper work to SC DMV not GA cause i had no GA LIC. So do i need a lawyer to clear this up, or can i do it myself? Also how do i prove it was a SC LIC, not GA LIC. when i got the ticket? Also can GA suspend my LIC in SC? If they can, why haven't they done so in 7yrs?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It shouldn't matter what state had issued your license. A state can suspend your driving privilege even if you have no license from that state.

Why don't you just do whatever you need to do to clear the suspension and be done with it. I guess you have no knowledge of getting a speeding ticket?

Lowrider

You sound like a dumb cop. Your probably the one that suspended my ga license when I didn't even have a ga license. Please don't post if your not going to give any advice, I shouldn't have to pay and take a stupid class when they suspended the wrong lic..

HighwayMan

You just don't like my answer. Or you just don't understand it.

I will repeat that a state can suspend your privilege to drive in that state, no matter what state issued your license.

If GA suspended your privilege, your SC license would be valid in every state of the union except GA.

So if GA suspended you it does not matter what state's license you held at the time. You must still clear the suspension in GA in order to legally drive there.

Lowrider

Still dosent make sense. I mean I understand but why suspend my ga license and not my sc? And yes I understand state DMV don't talk to each other. Sorry if I was rude but you came off the wrong way

HighwayMan

Still dosent make sense. I mean I understand but why suspend my ga license and not my sc? And yes I understand state DMV don't talk to each other. Sorry if I was rude but you came off the wrong way
Many times a state will go after your home state's license. Usualy for failing to answer a ticket for a major moving violations. What happened in your case I don't know.

Suffice it to say that it makes perfect sense - GA does not care about what you do in any other state but GA - so they suspend your privilege to drive in THAT state.

HighwayMan

The following is an example of the way this works, using a state that I am most familiar with - NY...

Joe Blow has a NY license. He gets caught driving with no insurance, say. Upon conviction his license gets revoked for one year. At the end of that year he has to pay a $750 civil penalty to get his license back.

Joe says "screw it - I'll use my brother's Pennsylvania address and get a license there".

So Joe goes to PA and gets a PA license - PA, like most states, will issue a license without checking for problems the applicant might have in any other state.

Joe comes back to NY and drives as he normally does since he really lives in NY. He gets stopped by me for failing to signal a lane change. I run a check on his PA license and he comes back good to go. However, I also check him in NY and find that he is revoked.

Even though he has a valid PA license he cannot drive in NY because his license/privilege to drive has been revoked in NY. This subjects Joe to arrest for Aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle, a misdemeanor.

The ideal thing would be for there to be some type of national license, or at least a national database for license information shared among the states, but that probably will not ever happen.

The bottom line is that any state has the right to suspend/revoke your right to drive in that state even though you can legally drive in every other state.

Now, getting back to Joe. Say he's a good driver with a PA license and actually lives in PA but comes to NY to visit his brother one day. He gets a speeding ticket which he ignores since he knows he will never come back to NY ever again.

NY suspends his privilege to drive in NY, and notifies PA DMV about the unanswered ticket and requests a suspension. PA DMV then suspends Joe's PA license until he settles matters in NY.

It doesn't always work this way between every state, but it is very common.

You must do whatever GA requires in order for them to re-instate your privilege to drive there. It doesn't make much difference where you are or were licensed.

LSCAP

The way you wrote it sounds confusing.

Simply.
You had a SC license. Possibly your SC license was suspended until completion of court ordered safety course.

When GA updated their computers they found the “temp” suspension.
When you applied for GA license they checked their computers and found the “temp” suspension, and not the follow up action.

I suspect that GA has a crappy computer system.

I think that if you can get the records from SC it can be straightened out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">