• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving alone with learners permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daniel3344

State- New Jersey

Hello,

I am 16 and just received my learners permit.

Recently I started my own business and I am required to drive to meet my clients.

Since I would be driving for work, do I need an adult in the car?

Thank you,
Daniel Taylor

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
State- New Jersey

Hello,

I am 16 and just received my learners permit.

Recently I started my own business and I am required to drive to meet my clients.

Since I would be driving for work, do I need an adult in the car?

Thank you,
Daniel Taylor
No, you can't drive alone.
Practice supervised driving for at least six months
You must observe the following restrictions during the supervised driving period:

Display a reflectorized decal on each license plate (front/back); decals available at motor vehicle agencies, $4 per pair
No driving after 11:01 p.m. and before 5:00 a.m.
You must be accompanied in the front seat by an adult supervising driver who is at least 21 years of age and who possesses a valid New Jersey driver license and has a minimum of three years driving experience
Parent(s), guardian(s) or dependant(s) are allowed as passengers. A dependant is a permit or probationary driver's child, not siblings
Only one additional passenger is allowed unless accompanied by a parent or guardian
You can't use cell phones, hand held video games or any other hands-free interactive, wireless communication device
Seat belts must be worn at all times
See GDL Exemptions for hours-related exemptions for employment or religious reasons
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/EarlyBird.htm

daniel3344

What about this?

GDL Exemptions
Permit and probationary drivers under 21 are eligible for hours-related exemptions for employment or religious reasons
Drivers must carry legible documentation on letterhead signed by the employer, organization or religious institution stating the reasons for this request
Include signature, title, address and telephone number of designated official

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You say you started your own business and thus are your own employer. So you're going to write your own letter requesting that you be exempted from the law?

Yeah, that's going to go over real big.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What about this?

GDL Exemptions
Permit and probationary drivers under 21 are eligible for hours-related exemptions for employment or religious reasons
Drivers must carry legible documentation on letterhead signed by the employer, organization or religious institution stating the reasons for this request
You'll want to check w/ NJ's DMV. Because what would keep any and every probationary driver from claiming they're entrepreneurs and are exempted?

daniel3344

At the beginning of this year I filed all of the paperwork to form an LLC. Including the articles of organization which shows me as the primary owner.
I also have my parent listed as a partner so I can acquire business credit.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What about this?

GDL Exemptions
That has to do with restrictions on what TIMES minors are allowed to drive, not an exemption for not having a licensed driver in the car. :cool:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
At the beginning of this year I filed all of the paperwork to form an LLC. Including the articles of organization which shows me as the primary owner.
I also have my parent listed as a partner so I can acquire business credit.
That would be your parent acquiring credit. Minors cannot legally sign contracts. :cool:

daniel3344

That would be your parent acquiring credit. Minors cannot legally sign contracts. :cool:
Correct, the main purpose of having a adult on the llc was so the business could acquire things that required someone over 18.

Also, you may be correct about me just being exempt from time restrictions, but not unaccompanied minor restrictions.
I will get in contact with my local DMV office.

Thank you for your information :)

daniel3344

True, the State of New Jersey believes that with maturity would presumably come less drinking and driving,
and perhaps less cell phone use or texting – the causes of accidents among many young drivers.
Yes, teens are more likely to do this, but so do adults.
Anyway, there is no situation that I would text and drive nor would I ever consume alcohol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">