• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Friends Car w/o Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dowellp

I live in MD and my GF was driving my car, which at the time didn't have any insurance. She didn't have any idea that the vehicle didn't have any insurance until she was pulled over and received a $300 ticket and court date for driving a car thats not in her name with no insurance. She was in the car with her children and was at a stop light when a cop got behind her and ran the cars license plate

MY question is, Does she need to hire a lawyer for her court appearance? she makes too much to receive a public defendant. Should she have anything to be worried about?

OHRoadwarrior

If MD is like many states, her license will be suspended at the least. She is responsible for knowing those things before driving the car. In fact she is responsible to make sure the insurance card and registration are in the vehicle before operating it.

CSO286

I live in MD and my GF was driving my car, which at the time didn't have any insurance. She didn't have any idea that the vehicle didn't have any insurance until she was pulled over and received a $300 ticket and court date for driving a car thats not in her name with no insurance. She was in the car with her children and was at a stop light when a cop got behind her and ran the cars license plate

MY question is, Does she need to hire a lawyer for her court appearance? she makes too much to receive a public defendant. Should she have anything to be worried about?
I rather doubt she got ticketed for driving a vehicle that wasn't in her name. People do that legally all the time; they drive their parents' cars, siblings', coworkers' and company cars. The ticket was most likely uninsured vehicle.....

She was driving a vehicle without the required insurance. Ignorance is not a valid defense. She should go, and explain what happened to the court, promise that whenever she drives a car in the future, she'll make sure the care is legally insured and beg for mercy.

She should count herself very lucky. I know someone who was in an accident in an uninsured vehicle. That person is still paying off a judment for damages several years later.

asiny

Should she get a lawyer or just try and tell her side of the of the story and hope for the best?
You, being the "friend" who didn't tell her the car had no insurance, should pay for her attorney and any associated costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">