• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving with no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cchandha

What is the name of your state? Houston, Texas

I was pulled over for a broken tail light. The officer asked for my insurance, I showed him, only to find out that it had expired and that I had forgotten to renew my policy. So I was summoned to court. I thought that by showing up to court, my fine for driving with expired insurance would be waived. Turns out I had to pay the fine anyway ($280). So what was the purpose of me showing up to court?

efflandt

It would only be waived if you proved you had insurance at the time you were pulled over (ie, you had insurance, but not proof with you). But you said it had expired and you forgot to renew the policy, so the charge (and fine) was justified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">