• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with No insurance in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsMikey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I currently live in Ohio and Have a valid Oh driver's license.

I was pulled over in ohio a few weeks ago because my front license plate was in my front windshield. Officer informed me that it was illegal to have it there ( althou I have had the plate in windshield every since I gt the car which was probaly about 5 or 6 years ago) Anyway.. He also gt me for No seatbelt, which was stupidity on my part, have no idea why I was not wearing on, that is something that I usualy do as a habit as soon as i gt in the car.) anyway...when He asked for my Insurnace I could't find my current card.

My husband handles all bills pertaining to insurance, car registration etc... anyway... When he pulled me over I could not find my current Insurance card. The officer told me to find it and show it when I payed my seatbelt fine.

Now before I go any farther.... I want to let you guys know up front that We do keep regular Insurance on my car. Myhusband works out of town alot during the summer and usualy pays the insurence every six months online. However we have had a really rough summer and a lot has been going on. (funerals, pregnancy,etc....) With everything going on my husband forgot about the insurance and it had lapsed at time I was pulled over. As soon as we realized the insurance had lapsed we quickly reinstated the policy for another 6months (paid in full)

So when the ticket goes to the BMV in ohio I know they will suspend my operaters. t it is my 1st offence ever, I have never had any violations at all on my Operators. And I know I will have to gt the SR-22 insurance. Since I have valid Insurance now, will they still suspend operators? and if so for how long?

Reading Online I have read that it could be 30 days or 90 days. And will they take into consideration that it was an honest mistake of letting the INS lapse?

Will they ask for my Ohio plates off my car if I currently have insurance on the car now?

I'm not trying to gt out of anything, If they suspend my Licnece then they do, I'm just wondering if they could maybe give a person a break. lolWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

OK, I am not familiar with Ohio laws so my answer is more general than Ohio specific. My guess is that you may get a break with the fine amount due to the fact that you did reinstate coverage. That would depend on the judge. So only he/she can answer that for you.

As for the suspension, I would assume that it is a "statutory suspension" that is imposed by the Ohio BMV (when the conviction is reported) rather than by the court. Therefore, the break that your hoping for might not materialize for that.

Maybe someone else will chime in as well.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There is no such thing as an "honest mistake". It was a major mistake but that is not legal justification. Don't count on getting any breaks on the penalty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">