• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving on prvt property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

californiagreen

i got pulled over for driving on prvt property in the state of nebraska i ended up with a ticket for no drivers lisence and a open countainer in the state of nebraska am i required to have a lisence to drive on prvt property and y cant i have open countainers of beer in my car if its on prvt property?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i got pulled over for driving on prvt property in the state of nebraska i ended up with a ticket for no drivers lisence and a open countainer in the state of nebraska am i required to have a lisence to drive on prvt property and y cant i have open countainers of beer in my car if its on prvt property?
Was it YOUR property? (I'm guessing the answer is "NO")
In your next post, please try to speak English - it doesn't take but a second more to type "why" instead of "y" or "private" instead of "prvt"

CdwJava

What kind of private property was this? A mall or shopping center, perhaps? Or was it someone's field?

Also, what code sections were you chared with violating? That will help identify the elements of the offenses.

- Carl

californiagreen

codes

well i went out to a place i worked at cuase i heared they went bankrupt they then pulled me over cuase i was on privant property the codes are no operators lisence 60-489 and open countainer 60-689 its only a 169 dollar ticket but how can i get an open countainer charge or no operators lisence if i wasnt on public property? thats what im confused about

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well i went out to a place i worked at cuase i heared they went bankrupt they then pulled me over cuase i was on privant property the codes are no operators lisence 60-489 and open countainer 60-689 its only a 169 dollar ticket but how can i get an open countainer charge or no operators lisence if i wasnt on public property? thats what im confused about
Sounds to me like you're lucky you also didn't get a trespassing citation.

californiagreen

trespassing

i just turned into the employing parking lot and turned around and was leaving lol there wasnt any sighns saying no trrespassing either or privant property sighns

Last edited:

CdwJava

Here are your violations:

60-489 Operator's license; duty to carry and exhibit; exception; officers; power to demand presentation.

Except for a farm permit issued under section 60-4,126, the operator's license shall at all times be carried by the licensee when operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state and shall be presented by the licensee for examination, or he or she shall present proof of ownership of the same, upon demand by any officer, employee, or agent of the Nebraska State Patrol or police or peace officer recognized as such by the laws of this state. Such officer, employee, or agent shall, in every case of making demand on the motor vehicle operator to show an operator's license, first display proper evidence of his or her lawful authority to act as an officer of the law. Except as provided in section 29-215, no officer, except an officer, agent, or employee of the Nebraska State Patrol, the Superintendent of Law Enforcement and Public Safety, the county sheriff, or their authorized deputies or subordinates, shall exercise the authority to demand presentation of an operator's license outside the boundaries of any incorporated cities and villages. A farm permit issued under section 60-4,126 need not be carried on the person but shall be produced for examination within twenty-four hours after a lawful demand therefor has been made under this section.​
60-689 is a penalty section unrelated to an open container.

An open container is the following section which specifies that an open container in a vehicle even in a parking lot is prohibited:

60-6,211.08 Open alcoholic beverage container; consumption of alcoholic beverages; prohibited acts.

(1) For purposes of this section:

(a) Alcoholic beverage means (i) beer, ale porter, stout, and other similar fermented beverages, including sake or similar products, of any name or description containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume, brewed or produced from malt, wholly or in part, or from any substitute therefor, (ii) wine of not less than one-half of one percent of alcohol by volume, or (iii) distilled spirits which is that substance known as ethyl alcohol, ethanol, or spirits of wine in any form, including all dilutions and mixtures thereof from whatever source or by whatever process produced. Alcoholic beverage does not include trace amounts not readily consumable as a beverage;

(b) Highway means a road or street including the entire area within the right-of-way;

(c) Open alcoholic beverage container, except as provided in subsection (3) of section 53-123.04 and subdivision (1)(c) of section 53-123.11, means any bottle, can, or other receptacle:

(i) That contains any amount of alcoholic beverage; and

(ii)(A) That is open or has a broken seal or (B) the contents of which are partially removed; and

(d) Passenger area means the area designed to seat the driver and passengers while the motor vehicle is in operation and any area that is readily accessible to the driver or a passenger while in their seating positions, including any compartments in such area. Passenger area does not include the area behind the last upright seat of such motor vehicle if the area is not normally occupied by the driver or a passenger and the motor vehicle is not equipped with a trunk.

(2) It is unlawful for any person in the passenger area of a motor vehicle to possess an open alcoholic beverage container while the motor vehicle is located in a public parking area or on any highway in this state.

(3) Except as provided in section 53-186, it is unlawful for any person to consume an alcoholic beverage (a) in a public parking area or on any highway in this state or (b) inside a motor vehicle while in a public parking area or on any highway in this state.​
A highway is defined as:

60-332 Highway, defined.

Highway means the entire width between the boundary limits of any street, road, avenue, boulevard, or way which is publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel.​
And I cannot locate any section covering off street parkin gfacilities or lots, so I don't know if these are also considered as highways for licensing purposes.

So, feel free to bring up the argument at court. Who knows, you may prevail. However, I suspect that there is a section requiring a license in a parking lot.

- Carl

californiagreen

ty

from what ive read i should have had a lisence but the open countainer charge i might be ok with being i wasnt in a public parking lot or road or highway ty for your time

CdwJava

from what ive read i should have had a lisence but the open countainer charge i might be ok with being i wasnt in a public parking lot or road or highway ty for your time
Yes, but you were located in a public parking area:

It is unlawful for any person in the passenger area of a motor vehicle to possess an open alcoholic beverage container while the motor vehicle is located in a public parking area or on any highway in this state.

Seems to me this section you are likely guilty of. So, you might prevail for the license issue, but not the alcohol.

- Carl

californiagreen

privant property

they pulled me over for being on privant property the buisness went bankrupt so im not sure what to think good news though went and got my driver lisence today wooohooo!

CdwJava

Well, you don't have a right to drive on property you do not own or do not have property to drive on. My yard does not have a "no trespassing" sign or even a "no parking" sign, yet neither would be lawful should you drive or park there.

- Carl

californiagreen

didnt get a trespassing ticket

thanks for all your help but the point i was trying to make was i wasnt on public property i know this cuase the cop told me and from the looks of it the law states its unlawfull to have an open countainer on any 'public' property so i guess im wondering if i should try to fight that or not and could i just call the attorneys office and explain this to them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">