• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ciarin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI, MA, FL

I got a speeding ticket in Hawaii in 2001 with my FL driver's license. When I go to change my FL license to a MA license, I get my driving record from FL and it doesn't show any tickets on there. Does this mean my driving record is incorrect? Do I have to get it fixed? Now that I have a MA license, will it also show no ticket from hawaii?

Just curious.

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI, MA, FL

I got a speeding ticket in Hawaii in 2001 with my FL driver's license. When I go to change my FL license to a MA license, I get my driving record from FL and it doesn't show any tickets on there. Does this mean my driving record is incorrect? Do I have to get it fixed? Now that I have a MA license, will it also show no ticket from hawaii?

Just curious.
I will assume that this is a citation that you took care of... As in paid the fine or contested the citation and somehow had it either dismissed or dropped.

With that in mind, I'll say that most states will only keep traffic infractions on their record for a 3 year period. So a citation that you received in 2001 in HI on your Florida D/L and assuming it was reported to FL at all, would have been off the record in 2004. With this being 2009 = 8 years after the citation, chances are it all forgotten.

Ciarin

The ticket was paid.

It was kinda funny how I got the ticket too. I was driving in my camaro on H1 and there weren't any other cars on the highway except one and I decided to pass him, and it was a cop! Stupid me!

I_Got_Banned

The ticket was paid.

It was kinda funny how I got the ticket too. I was driving in my camaro on H1 and there weren't any other cars on the highway except one and I decided to pass him, and it was a cop! Stupid me!
That is stupid.... Oops I mean "FUNNY".... :D

Orcons

With that in mind, I'll say that most states will only keep traffic infractions on their record for a 3 year period. So a citation that you received in 2001 in HI on your Florida D/L and assuming it was reported to FL at all, would have been off the record in 2004. With this being 2009 = 8 years after the citation, chances are it all forgotten.

MA looks back 6 years, not 3, for assignment of points but you are still past the 6 year window so even if it did show up it shouldn't cost you anything. If it did end up on your record they would not delete it after the 6 year period so if this was part of a larger pattern it could come back to haunt you (if you contest a citation the clerk can see your entire record, not just 6 years) but my guess is it will never show up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">