• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TragicEndingz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My license in is Kansas but i do not live there anymore.

I recently got divorced and moved to Alabama after several military moves. I received a ticket while in Kansas for a seatbelt violation, my now ex husband paid it---well he said he did.
We moved to Washington and i received a speeding ticket and also found out my license was suspended due to failure to pay the previous ticket. I was never notified that my license was suspended (even though i changed my mailing address when i moved) and i had been driving around for well over a year when i found out. I immediately called, paid everything and had it reinstated. Well it just now is showing up on my license and tripled my insurance, is there any way to have it removed from my license? this happened in 2012 and I can't afford 400$ per month for car insurance im a single mom with two kids now.

On average how much is a lawyer at removing these things?

When i called Kansas they said they had my updated address but still sent it to my old one (which had since been torn down). Now i'm frustrated and trying to figure out what i can do. Any suggestions?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My license in is Kansas but i do not live there anymore.

I recently got divorced and moved to Alabama after several military moves. I received a ticket while in Kansas for a seatbelt violation, my now ex husband paid it---well he said he did.
We moved to Washington and i received a speeding ticket and also found out my license was suspended due to failure to pay the previous ticket. I was never notified that my license was suspended (even though i changed my mailing address when i moved) and i had been driving around for well over a year when i found out. I immediately called, paid everything and had it reinstated. Well it just now is showing up on my license and tripled my insurance, is there any way to have it removed from my license? this happened in 2012 and I can't afford 400$ per month for car insurance im a single mom with two kids now.

On average how much is a lawyer at removing these things?

When i called Kansas they said they had my updated address but still sent it to my old one (which had since been torn down). Now i'm frustrated and trying to figure out what i can do. Any suggestions?
An attorney is not going to be able to remove this. You were responsible for making sure your address was updated. How often did you update your driver's license? The fact that you can't afford the consequences will cause you to be more careful.

davew128

You were responsible for making sure your address was updated.
I'm going to side with the OP here. How many times do you deal with a large organization and do an address change and some system somewhere in that organization doesn't update it for that systems purpose?

Isis1

$400 a month??? what ELSE do you have on your record? are you on liability or bumper to bumper coverage?

i've had a seat belt violation and my insurance was NEVER that high. shoot, i've had a worse charge and my insurance didn't go that high.

let's start with the important part. your suspended license.

that needs to be paid. somehow. someway. payments, whatever it takes. i know some states will allow you a payment plan in return for releasing your license. look into it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
$400 a month??? what ELSE do you have on your record? are you on liability or bumper to bumper coverage?

i've had a seat belt violation and my insurance was NEVER that high. shoot, i've had a worse charge and my insurance didn't go that high.

let's start with the important part. your suspended license.

that needs to be paid. somehow. someway. payments, whatever it takes. i know some states will allow you a payment plan in return for releasing your license. look into it.
OP says she "...immediately called, paid everything and had it reinstated."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">