• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with running lights on at night

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lotrms

I was driving a few nights ago with my running lights on instead of my headlights, on the ticket, however, the officer said it was an 811.520 "Fail to use Headlights." My headlights are manual, though, so I had turned them on, but had accidentally not turned them on all the way. Is there any way I can fight this and claim "not guilty?"

Also, the ticket is for $287, does this seem excessive? And, this is my first ticket. Should I go the route of doing an affidavit? Oregon

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

I was driving a few nights ago with my running lights on instead of my headlights, on the ticket, however, the officer said it was an 811.520 "Fail to use Headlights." My headlights are manual, though, so I had turned them on, but had accidentally not turned them on all the way. Is there any way I can fight this and claim "not guilty?"

Also, the ticket is for $287, does this seem excessive? Oregon
running lights are not enough headlight at night.

is your defense, "I didn't turn them all of the way on" because if so, you might as well just plea guilty and pay the ticket.

I cant see any way to get out of this, driving with no lights on at night is extremely dangerous to everybody on the road, or anyone trying to cross the street, so I don't think 287.00 is excessive.

OHRoadwarrior

Headlights are the lights in front. The ones that didn't look as cool as your fog lights. Those are what you received the ticket for not having on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You ask if you can use an affidavit. What do you hope to accomplish? What help do you think it will be for you to write down that you failed to use your headlights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">