• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on Suspended License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jls1

Illinois Driver.

My daughter had 3 moving violations and had her license suspended. She lives with us and I pay for her insurance and car plates and since she wasn't to be driving her car I dropped the insurance and did not renew her plates.

While her mom and I were out of town she took her car to the store and was stopped and ticketed for 1) driving on suspended license 2) driving with no insurance 3) driving with expired plates.

(We now have plates and insurance back on her car)

The tickets were marked that she must appear in court on a certain date. We show up for that court date but the traffic department in the court house doesn't know anything about the tickets. They call the local police department about them and were told the states attorney has the tickets and they would be in touch with us.

The court date was the first week of January and we have heard nothing from the states attorney.

My Questions:
1) Is this normal procedure for something like this?
2) How much time do they have to press charges or bring this to trial? I think Illinois law says 120 days?
3) If the 120 is correct and that time passes without any information from the States Attorney what should we do?
4) Do we need a lawyer?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

garrula lingua

They probably transferred the tickets from traffic court to misdemeanor court.

A complaint/charging document should issue, and a letter will probably be sent to daughter with a new court date in misdemeanor criminal court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">