• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on a Suspended license - didn't know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pescadorr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

i have two main things i am dealing with right now:
i was ticketed for:
14601.1 VC driving while drivers license supended which is a misdemeanor as well as 27315(d) VC no seatbelt
and 4000(a) VC exp reg.(my current truck). (corrected).
i received no notice stating i had a suspended license and had no knowledge that it was suspended.
i'm due in court june 9 for this.

the second thing is the original ticket:
the original ticket was a registration ticket and a fixit ticket (bumper blocking license plate) for an old truck that won't pass smog and i am attempting to sell. because i never dealt with the old ticket, my license was suspended and has also gone to a collection agency. i filled out a "good cause" form so that i could go before the court and plead to have the fine reduced ($700 for reg and a fix it), but the answer was confusing, they checked the denied box but also stated that if i corrected the fix-it and provided proof i could do it.

i'm trying to make several things happen:
1. be able to see a judge about the original case and have the fine reduced if possible.
2. have the driving on a suspended dismissed because i didn't know.
3. get my drivers license back so i can make money again.

any advise on how i should proceed would be definately be appreciated. i don't have the money to hire an attorney. i want to fight it or at least plead my case before a judge and ask for leniency.. should i ask for a court trial or plead no contest?
should i ask for a trial and hope the officer doesn't show up?
i imagine that they won't give me my license until i've paid everything in full but i want to do community service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">