• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with Suspended License - Not DUI related..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rpgtr225

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am have been charged with driving on a suspended license in Jefferson
Parish of Louisiana. I have no felonies on my record. Only traffic
violations. I did not get a DWI or DUI, and I received the suspension from
failure to pay a ticket and during a period of depression and anxiety.
I am currently a college student at a prestigious university. I have a letter requesting leniency from two doctors a
psychiatrist and psychologist, both of which I am under their care, and
proof that I am in school full-time. My license has since been
re-instated and I have paid all fines in accordance. I was wondering what would
the possibility be of the court giving me jail time?
The trial date is on 11/8

W

wanaagnes

I don't know how it is in your state,,but here in my state I had a similar situation. Right after the incident I paid all the fines to get my license reinstated went to court talked to the DA and pleaded ignorance, said the DMV did not inform me. Also went to the DMV and got my abstract that proved that I paid all the fines right after I got stopped. I was nice and respectful with the DA. He reduced it to a revoked charge I think,,,,I pleaded guilty and just had to pay like $50. I lucked out.

Your pleads for leniency are ok but you should have something that shows that you made amends for your infraction. Be humble, respectful, don't look like you have $, if the DA is not an ass he will be cool with you, good luck

K

Kaz the Minotau

It doesn't matter where you go to school at or how many letters you have. You still drove on a suspended license. With that being said I wouldn't think you would have to worry about jail time with that. Here in PA jail time would only result from a DUS charge if person was a habitual offender. It wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Kaz the Minotau said:
It doesn't matter where you go to school at or how many letters you have. You still drove on a suspended license. With that being said I wouldn't think you would have to worry about jail time with that. Here in PA jail time would only result from a DUS charge if person was a habitual offender. It wouldn't worry about it too much.

My response:

Good response, but he might get a weekend in jail on the "suspended" - - just to teach him a lesson.

IAAL
The Gladiator
Romans vs. Christians, 3 to15 at the Half
. . . and, we'll be right back after the break;
but first, a word from our sponsor,
"Sparticus Beer - for that killer taste!"

Last edited:
R

rpgtr225

yes but my whole argument is that I missed the court dates and everything else due to a deep depression (which causes you to neglect ALL oblications) not disrespect for the law. Would the court give leniency for that?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rpgtr225 said:
yes but my whole argument is that I missed the court dates and everything else due to a deep depression (which causes you to neglect ALL oblications) not disrespect for the law. Would the court give leniency for that?

My response:

No.

Why is it, do you think, everyone who gets into trouble has some sort of "depression" or other physical or mental malady? All of a sudden, criminals and other n'er-do-wells immediately become "afflicted" or "find God" in order to sidestep their lawful duties and responsibilities as citizens?

The court has heard this kind of crap at least a million times before - - you're not unique, and it didn't work in those cases, and it certainly won't work for you.

Take responsibility for your life and the things you do. Stop blaming other things and other people for what you do. Ultimately, when you break the law, it's comes down to you.

IAAL

B

betsykay

Your case sounds very serious. Being that Judges are professionals they will take letters from your respective MD's as "professional" testimony.

I think you have a good case and I would bet some cash, with what you have divulged, you will NOT do jail time!

Betsy

R

rpgtr225

for one thing, LIABLE, I am not a common criminal or a "never-do-gooder" I am a decent individual, a tax payer, voter, and I have never broken a law other than a traffic one in my life. You seem to have me confused with someone who has been in and out of jail his/her entire life. I'm not going to trial for a felony or a violent crime, nor was anyone hurt in this case. I don't see why a judge would not advocate leniency for a normal person who has some serious personal difficulties.

R

rpgtr225

one thing I forgot to mention is that I am not trying to snake my way out of the charges. I know I made a mistake, I broke the law, and I am willing to pay a price. I am only asking for leniency due to those circumstances. Anyone with any clue about depression will know that a suicidal person does nothing but think about taking his or her own life. It is an illness that must be treated, like any other, cancer or whatever. I pray you will not have to go through it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rpgtr225 said:
for one thing, LIABLE, I am not a common criminal or a "never-do-gooder" I am a decent individual, a tax payer, voter, and I have never broken a law other than a traffic one in my life. You seem to have me confused with someone who has been in and out of jail his/her entire life. I'm not going to trial for a felony or a violent crime, nor was anyone hurt in this case. I don't see why a judge would not advocate leniency for a normal person who has some serious personal difficulties.

My response:

You said in your initial post - -

"I am have been charged with driving on a suspended license"

Then, you said in the above post - -

"I am not a common criminal"

Well, I've got news for you. If driving without a license or on a suspended license is a criminal act in your State (which it is), then those who commit criminal acts are, in fact, "criminals". Sure, you didn't murder anyone, or commit an act of arson - - but, nonetheless, what you did is no less a crime which makes you a "criminal" - - no less, and no more.

Everybody has an "excuse" - - just look at the Criminal Law forum, and go through some of the posts. Almost all of those "criminals" have some sort of "justification" or "illness" for what they did, hoping that a judge will "go easy" on them.

Well, judges don't. You weren't too sick to get into your car and drive. You weren't too sick to get into your car and drive without a valid license. You made a conscious choice to break the law, hoping that you wouldn't get caught. But, you were caught.

So, you made a choice to not follow the law and failed to really believe that you shouldn't drive without a license. Well, now the judge is going to make you a "believer" because taking your license away is obviously not stopping you. What other choice would a judge have that you would deem necessary? Well, I'll tell you - - you graduated to the next step, and that's doing some "jail time."

You can't be trusted, and you need some time to "think" about your crime, and why you should always believe a judge when your license is suspended. Suspension means something. It means you shouldn't be on the roadways.

A judge is NOT going to give your "hearsay" letters from your doctors, or from anybody, any credence - - you should have thought about doing the potential punishment for your crime, and taken your mental/psychological "afflictions" into consideration, BEFORE you got behind the wheel. Now it's too late.

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">