• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on suspended license in WV Q's.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Acebeans

I'm sorry, but I can't think of any situation that requires you to drive in order to obtain electricity and food. First, there is the postal system. Envelopes are dirt cheap, and stamps are, what, 50 cents if you insist on buying them individually from a gas station vending machine? And then there's the bus. I don't know about prices in your area, but in mine, a bus trip, plus one transfer to another route, costs $1. A month pass, meaning I could ride any route any number of times I want for the entirety of the month, is less than $30. Then of course, there are taxis (yes, a little on the pricey said), and friends/acquaintances that might be headed in the same direction you need to go. No, there is no good reason that would signify a "need" to drive in a suspended license.

Since you didn't mind to ask I'll let you know I'm from a very rural area of WV. The only town that I am near is 30 miles away and there is no bus that will pick you up and take you there. To get to work on a daily basis without me risking losing my job in the first place it was necessary for me to drive.

As far as me not being "smart enough" to drive a car without getting pulled over is just stupid. You have no idea why I was pulled over and it had absolutely nothing to do with breaking any traffic laws.

Why didn't I pay the tickets in the fist place? Do you guys really want me to go over my monthly budget with you?

Ever heard of min wage? Christ.

patstew

Why didn't I pay the tickets in the fist (sic) place? Do you guys really want me to go over my monthly budget with you?
Actually, "in the first place" should be WHY did you get the tickets? Not paying them (or trying to make arrangements to pay them) would be the second place.

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.

Acebeans

Plea down to first offense. License will be suspended for one year from the date I pay off my last ticket. No jail time.....

**** off.

The Occultist

Plea down to first offense. License will be suspended for one year from the date I pay off my last ticket. No jail time.....

**** off.
Um, you sure showed us I guess.

So, we all startin' a pool here? I'm going for March 6th that the OP ends up serving jail time for driving on a suspended license again. 'Cause he "needed" to.

jubee82

Unless you personally know someone's situation, how can you sit and judge them. Granted, driving on a suspended license is irresponsible, but the cost of tickets and court costs are outrageous. I am going to focus mainly on the last reply...honestly, have you ever been in a situation where you are trying just to make your bills and eat? Throw in a $200 ticket and see if you choose to pay it, or pay bills so you can afford life's little luxuries (i.e. food, water, electric, etc.). You don't know if he has a family or children to support, which definitely adds to the cost of living, or how much he makes at work. I don't know what part of WV he's from, but in mine, it's hard to get a job that pays more than $7/hour (pretty sure that wouldn't buy a cup of coffee where you're from). Don't know if you've ever been to West Virginia, but our public transportation system isn't quite as up to date as those in California, for example. You have to live pretty much in town to access it, and even if you are lucky enough to be able to utilize it, you can pretty much guarantee that it won't get you to or from work on time. No real, dependable cab service either, so what should he do? I truly hope none of you end up in this situation (b/c I have), but I bet money that you'd lose the big-feeling attitude quick. How bout empathizing, answering a simple question, and dropping the holier-than-thou attitude in the future....you never can tell what situations might arise in your own lives and it would be great if someone was understanding of your circumstances when that time comes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">