+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    question81 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5

    Driving Too Close Ticket After Accident

    I received a ticket for following too closely after being involved in an accident. I was in stop and go morning traffic heading east toward the sun. As I was driving I was temporarily blinded by the sun glare, which caused the driver in front of me to slam on his brakes. By the time I hit my brakes, it was too late to avoid hitting him. The officer who arrived on the scene told me he had no choice and that it was department protocol to issue me the ticket. He also recommended that I even plead not guilty. I cannot afford to be found guilty of this charge because it carries four points. I have points on my license from other infractions (speeding,etc.) that I have plead guilty to. My question is is there any legal defense and will my history of admitting when Im guilty work in my favor. The ticket was issued in Long Island (Nassau County), New York. Thank you.
  2. #2
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    52,955
    Quote Originally Posted by question81
    I received a ticket for following too closely after being involved in an accident. I was in stop and go morning traffic heading east toward the sun. As I was driving I was temporarily blinded by the sun glare, which caused the driver in front of me to slam on his brakes. By the time I hit my brakes, it was too late to avoid hitting him. The officer who arrived on the scene told me he had no choice and that it was department protocol to issue me the ticket. He also recommended that I even plead not guilty. I cannot afford to be found guilty of this charge because it carries four points. I have points on my license from other infractions (speeding,etc.) that I have plead guilty to. My question is is there any legal defense and will my history of admitting when Im guilty work in my favor. The ticket was issued in Long Island (Nassau County), New York. Thank you.

    Nope your history of admitting guilt will not work in your favor. and you were following too closely if you could not stop to avoid the car in front of you.
  3. #3
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    34,738
    Quote Originally Posted by question81
    As I was driving I was temporarily blinded by the sun glare, which caused the driver in front of me to slam on his brakes. By the time I hit my brakes, it was too late to avoid hitting him.

    I love it. The OP was blinded and it caused the driver in front of him/her to slam on his brakes.

    What reason would you possibly have to plead not guilty?
  4. #4
    question81 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    If I knew what reason I had to plead not guilty, I wouldn't have posted the question.
  5. #5
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by question81
    If I knew what reason I had to plead not guilty, I wouldn't have posted the question.
    Ask the prosecutor for a nonmoving vioation; it will cost you a lot more but there will be no points and no insurance hassles.
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  6. #6
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,984
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge
    Ask the prosecutor for a nonmoving vioation; it will cost you a lot more but there will be no points and no insurance hassles.
    Always worth a shot, but with what sounds like a fairly significant prior record, coupled with the area (not very plea-friendly), I wouldn't count on it.

    As has been noted, there is no defense to this ticket based on the facts you posted (incidentally, this was on the GCP, wasn't it?). You're best hope may be to take a DMV-approved defensive driving class to knock some points off your license, assuming you're eligible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
  7. #7
    question81 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    Yeah it was on the GCP, actually the Northern State (same difference). I actually have already completed the defensive driving course. Thanks for the advice though.
  8. #8
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,984
    Quote Originally Posted by question81
    Yeah it was on the GCP, actually the Northern State (same difference). I actually have already completed the defensive driving course. Thanks for the advice though.
    Yep, no surprise there - you aren't the only bonehead to slam their breaks coming around that turn

    Anyway, is your ticket returnable in the Hempstead court?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
  9. #9
    question81 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    What do you mean returnable in court?
  10. #10
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by question81
    What do you mean returnable in court?
    Lawyer gobbledygook for

    Where you 'posed to show at bro?
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  11. #11
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    10,984
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge
    Lawyer gobbledygook for

    Where you 'posed to show at bro?
    Yep, sorry. Which courthouse do you have to go to to give them your money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
  12. #12
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by You Are Guilty
    Yep, sorry. Which courthouse do you have to go to to give them your money?
    Somebody asked me once, "I see in the paper where you keep issuing warrants for failure to appear. Just where did those folks fail to appear?"

    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.
  13. #13
    question81 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    Yeah, I have to appear in Hempstead.
  14. #14
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Odo of Cluny Parish
    Posts
    29,533
    Quote Originally Posted by question81
    Yeah, I have to appear in Hempstead.
    They are really tough down there.
    There are two rules for success:

    (1) Never tell everything you know.

Similar Threads

  1. Careless Driving Ticket with Accident
    By Debbie48 in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM
  2. Accident w/careless driving ticket and speeding ticket within 2 weeks. Please help!
    By bvinole in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
  3. Ticket for driving close to Emergency Lane in Vermont State on a MA license.
    By rmvadvice in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. Driving Too Close ticket
    By ndp125 in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 09:15 PM
  5. motorcycle accident - ticket for following too close
    By tars in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.