• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Too Close Ticket After Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

question81

I received a ticket for following too closely after being involved in an accident. I was in stop and go morning traffic heading east toward the sun. As I was driving I was temporarily blinded by the sun glare, which caused the driver in front of me to slam on his brakes. By the time I hit my brakes, it was too late to avoid hitting him. The officer who arrived on the scene told me he had no choice and that it was department protocol to issue me the ticket. He also recommended that I even plead not guilty. I cannot afford to be found guilty of this charge because it carries four points. I have points on my license from other infractions (speeding,etc.) that I have plead guilty to. My question is is there any legal defense and will my history of admitting when Im guilty work in my favor. The ticket was issued in Long Island (Nassau County), New York. Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
question81 said:
I received a ticket for following too closely after being involved in an accident. I was in stop and go morning traffic heading east toward the sun. As I was driving I was temporarily blinded by the sun glare, which caused the driver in front of me to slam on his brakes. By the time I hit my brakes, it was too late to avoid hitting him. The officer who arrived on the scene told me he had no choice and that it was department protocol to issue me the ticket. He also recommended that I even plead not guilty. I cannot afford to be found guilty of this charge because it carries four points. I have points on my license from other infractions (speeding,etc.) that I have plead guilty to. My question is is there any legal defense and will my history of admitting when Im guilty work in my favor. The ticket was issued in Long Island (Nassau County), New York. Thank you.

Nope your history of admitting guilt will not work in your favor. and you were following too closely if you could not stop to avoid the car in front of you.

justalayman

question81 said:
As I was driving I was temporarily blinded by the sun glare, which caused the driver in front of me to slam on his brakes. By the time I hit my brakes, it was too late to avoid hitting him.

I love it. The OP was blinded and it caused the driver in front of him/her to slam on his brakes.

What reason would you possibly have to plead not guilty?

seniorjudge

question81 said:
If I knew what reason I had to plead not guilty, I wouldn't have posted the question.
Ask the prosecutor for a nonmoving vioation; it will cost you a lot more but there will be no points and no insurance hassles.

You Are Guilty

seniorjudge said:
Ask the prosecutor for a nonmoving vioation; it will cost you a lot more but there will be no points and no insurance hassles.
Always worth a shot, but with what sounds like a fairly significant prior record, coupled with the area (not very plea-friendly), I wouldn't count on it.

As has been noted, there is no defense to this ticket based on the facts you posted (incidentally, this was on the GCP, wasn't it?). You're best hope may be to take a DMV-approved defensive driving class to knock some points off your license, assuming you're eligible.

question81

Yeah it was on the GCP, actually the Northern State (same difference). I actually have already completed the defensive driving course. Thanks for the advice though.

You Are Guilty

question81 said:
Yeah it was on the GCP, actually the Northern State (same difference). I actually have already completed the defensive driving course. Thanks for the advice though.
Yep, no surprise there - you aren't the only bonehead to slam their breaks coming around that turn :D

Anyway, is your ticket returnable in the Hempstead court?

seniorjudge

You Are Guilty said:
Yep, sorry. Which courthouse do you have to go to to give them your money? :D
Somebody asked me once, "I see in the paper where you keep issuing warrants for failure to appear. Just where did those folks fail to appear?"

:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">