• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Under Suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thedream

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

Ok here goes...I have lived in several states forthe last 7 years, I am prior military. Back in 2002 I got a ticket for doing more than 16 over in the state of NC. I didn't know that was an automatic supsension. They actually suspended my license in 2008 which I wasn't aware of. I had a GA License right before I had an SC license. I get pulled over in May for speeding, and they told me I was suspended. So they let my wife drive home and just gave me a ticket. Come to find out they mailed me a letter on Jan 25 2008, saying that I was in danger of being suspened from NC. I never received this letter, however the state of SC issued me a license the day before. (I have proof of all this). When I received my citation the officer said the judge is usually pretty lenient with suspension cases, especially when it doesnt tell the office why it was suspened. Just looking for a little advice. I really don't want to hire an attorney, and besides court date is on Thursday. Thanks ahead of time for you replies!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I suppose you just pled guilty to the 2002 speeding ticket?

I don't understand why it took them so long to suspend your license - a six year gap doesn't seem to make sense.

Whatever you say you have proof of has no bearing on this case. Getting a license in a different state doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to your NC driving privilege being suspended.

How long is the term of the suspension and have you done anything to get the suspension lifted?

thedream

thanks for the reply

Its definitely a huge gap. I took care of the supsensions and fines the next day. It was a total of almost $300 bucks to get my license back. I didnt get a lawyer for the ticket I recall just paying it ( i did get a few speeding tickets
that year). They told me in NC whenever you are doing 16 over you'll automatically get a suspension. I am hoping the judge will just throw it out, they told me this stuff has been happening more that all of the dmv systems are linked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">