• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Under Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dshafer2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska.
Is there a certain time frame for law enforcement to file charges on someone who was caught driving under suspension. My friend was arrested for it 3 years ago, but charges were not filed then because the officer failed to fill out the correct paperwork. Now 3 years later he has been sentenced to 20 months in prison.

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska.
Is there a certain time frame for law enforcement to file charges on someone who was caught driving under suspension. My friend was arrested for it 3 years ago, but charges were not filed then because the officer failed to fill out the correct paperwork. Now 3 years later he has been sentenced to 20 months in prison.
Where was his attorney during all of this?

And, by virtue of your statement that he was sentences to "prison", might suggest that what you've posted is only one chapter in a long story line of what really happened. (Meaning he was likely charged with and convicted of a "felony" in addition to or instead of just a "misdemeanor" driving while suspended).

So, before anyone can answer your "time frame" (statute of limitations) question, you will have to provide the specific crime he was charged with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">