• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Under Suspesion - 2nd Offense (OHIO)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trancefulbliss

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I was stopped last evening in the 'City of Cincinnati', for going 84 mph in a 55 mph zone. The situation does not concern the speeding. After taking my license and proof of insurance, the officer returned to my car to ask me if I knew of my license being suspended. I played dumb. I answered that I was unaware, but I recently had been dealing with a similar situation at the time I had been stopped for speeding last (sometime back in November 2004).

He asked me to step out of the car after doing his paperwork to issue the ticket and have me sign. In addition to issuing a copy of 'Notice of Suspension', also have me sign that. At this point he informed me two things. First is that I am required to appear in court 3/14/05 @ 10:30am, and second the car must be seized as required by law. I asked if there was ANY way around it. If he could allow me to drive back to my house (5 minutes) and follow me to make sure that's where I was going. He insisted he could not, he was required by law to seize and impound the vehicle.

So here I sit, no vehicle, no physical license and a required court appearance in less than 4 days.

I want to note that, as I mentioned to the officer, I had a prior situation in which I was stopped for speeding, and been informed that the license was suspended, but was let go. My passenger drove the car home in place of me as we left the scene. I was also required to appear in court for those violations (Speeding / DUS). I was in the process of finalizing payment for both violations and once final, I would need to mail a form to the State of Ohio for license reinstatement.

To reiterate, this would be considered my second DUS violation, I'm uneducated in Ohio law as to what the general rule of thumb is in this situation. What can I expect? Is the judge likely to place a 6 or 12 month suspension on the license? Am I able to request privledges for work? I assume there would not be any jail time, is this a correct assumption? Would it be in my best interest to retain a lawyer? If I am unable to before 3/14, should I request a continuance so I have more time to retain one?

Help is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

- Screwed In Ohio

JarMow

trancefulbliss said:
What is the name of your state? OHIO

I was stopped last evening in the 'City of Cincinnati', for going 84 mph in a 55 mph zone. The situation does not concern the speeding. After taking my license and proof of insurance, the officer returned to my car to ask me if I knew of my license being suspended. I played dumb. I answered that I was unaware, but I recently had been dealing with a similar situation at the time I had been stopped for speeding last (sometime back in November 2004).

He asked me to step out of the car after doing his paperwork to issue the ticket and have me sign. In addition to issuing a copy of 'Notice of Suspension', also have me sign that. At this point he informed me two things. First is that I am required to appear in court 3/14/05 @ 10:30am, and second the car must be seized as required by law. I asked if there was ANY way around it. If he could allow me to drive back to my house (5 minutes) and follow me to make sure that's where I was going. He insisted he could not, he was required by law to seize and impound the vehicle.

So here I sit, no vehicle, no physical license and a required court appearance in less than 4 days.

I want to note that, as I mentioned to the officer, I had a prior situation in which I was stopped for speeding, and been informed that the license was suspended, but was let go. My passenger drove the car home in place of me as we left the scene. I was also required to appear in court for those violations (Speeding / DUS). I was in the process of finalizing payment for both violations and once final, I would need to mail a form to the State of Ohio for license reinstatement.

To reiterate, this would be considered my second DUS violation, I'm uneducated in Ohio law as to what the general rule of thumb is in this situation. What can I expect? Is the judge likely to place a 6 or 12 month suspension on the license? Am I able to request privledges for work? I assume there would not be any jail time, is this a correct assumption? Would it be in my best interest to retain a lawyer? If I am unable to before 3/14, should I request a continuance so I have more time to retain one?

Help is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

- Screwed In Ohio

Heres your first move. STOP DRIVING until you get your license back, which now won't be for a long time. You were caught once and charged, caught again and got a lucky break, now your caught a 3rd time and want to know how to get out of it? This place helps people in your situation I hope they throw the book at you.

trancefulbliss

JarMow said:
Heres your first move. STOP DRIVING until you get your license back, which now won't be for a long time. You were caught once and charged, caught again and got a lucky break, now your caught a 3rd time and want to know how to get out of it? This place helps people in your situation I hope they throw the book at you.
You must have misunderstood. I clearly state this is a second offense, not a third.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">