• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Uninspected

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Virtus14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I had to be at court 2hrs south of where I live and was not allowed to speak to the D.A.'s office when I tried calling ahead to state I did not have a viable option for transportation.

I chose to drive my car instead of not showing up. It happens that my car was several months past inspection (I've been steadily getting her up to code). The vehicle is safe to drive on the road, but the exhaust is louder than allowed and my ebrake is out.

On my way to the court I was pulled over by a state trooper. He ticketed me.

I assumed I was ****ed, but later as I was receiving a second ticket for that inspection (I know, I know) I exclaimed to the other officer "I've already been ticketted for this when I had to drive t court". He told me that if I had really been on my way to court, that would have been a proper excuse and I wouldn't have received a ticket.

Is this true? Can I effectively contest the ticket so that my second will not be a second offense?

Also, would I am considering contesting the second as well. If I do am I risking more than the 133$ standard fine? For example, could it be doubled as a second offense when I get to court? Could they take my license since I'm only 18? (I've held my license since Feb 08)

FlyingRon

Loud exhaust and no parking brake makes it unsafe as far as the state goes.
The fact that you didn't bother to get it inspected in the MONTHS prior to your court appearance makes no difference. You got one ticket and you continued to drive around with no inspection and you're surprised you got a second ticket? Especially with a defective exhaust, every time you get behind the wheel of the car you're advertising "GIVE ME A TICKET FOR BEING AN IDIOT."

Get the car fixed and inspected immediately before the court dates and the judge MIGHT (that's MIGHT) dismiss or reduce or or both.

Virtus14

Yes, I agree this was an irresponsible choice to make. I'm hoping that if I have it inspected, and if I can show him my receipts from all the work I've been doing, he/she will be lenient with me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">