• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Uninsured, MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barticus19

I just got pulled over and received a must appear citation for driving uninsured in Maryland. I have been uninsured for over a year. What kind of fine/penalty am I looking at? This is my first offense and I have no other moving violations on my driving record. I have never been to court before and don't know what to expect so I'm freaking out a little.
Thank you for any information.

sandyclaus

I just got pulled over and received a must appear citation for driving uninsured in Maryland. I have been uninsured for over a year. What kind of fine/penalty am I looking at? This is my first offense and I have no other moving violations on my driving record. I have never been to court before and don't know what to expect so I'm freaking out a little.
Thank you for any information.
If you have experienced an insurance lapse in Maryland, it is not necessary to be caught driving to begin incurring penalties. There are automatic fines associated with car insurance lapses in Maryland. Even if you were unaware your car insurance coverage had terminated, you are liable for fines of $150 for the first 30 days your car lacked insurance, and an additional $7 for each day your vehicle remains uninsured.

Driving without insurance is also a jailable offense in the state of Maryland, meaning that if found guilty of driving without insurance, you can be sentenced to jail time. In addition to up to a year in jail, a conviction for driving without insurance in Maryland carries heavy fines- $1,000 and the aforementioned prison time for a first offense, and $2,000 in fines and up to two years in jail for a second offense. Conviction also carries five points on your license, a penalty that can cause insurance rates to spike significantly in the long-term.

The penalties associated with driving without insurance in Maryland are as follows:

• Loss of plates;
• Loss of vehicle registration privileges;
• Uninsured motorist penalty fees up to $2,500 per year;
• A restoration fee of up to $25 for vehicle registration;
• Inability to register any vehicles until obligations are met;
• Confiscation of plates by an authorized tag recovery agent after registration is suspended;
• Fine of up to $1,000 and up to a year in jail if convicted

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">